1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building A hcpc for watching dvds

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by figlio, Jul 25, 2004.

1. figlio

figlio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am new at this and I need some help.Here is the setup
    Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz
    512 Mb Ram
    ATI Radeon 9600 256Mb ram
    160 Gigabyte Hard disk
    Creative Labs Audigy2Zs 7.1 THX

Is this is going to be a good setup?
    Does a good soundcard makes a difference regarding sound quality?The computer is going to be hooked with an amplifier.
    What kind of software do you use to play the Dvds?
    I am going to have a better picture and better sound than if I buy a DVD player such a Pioneer 868?
    Any help is greatly appreciated as I told you I have no experience regarding projectors working with a homecinema pc.

2. figlio

figlio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    any help for a newbie

3. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi figlio,

That setup will be fine for dvd playback, you should expect to get a better picture than with most STB dvd players, but it may take a bit of effort to get there.

Software wise I'd say start with something like Theatertek (v2 about to be released, so maybe worth waiting before purchase, does have a trial period though). This is a nice simple, incredibly good quality player.

The next step from there would be to add a picture processor like ffdshow, this can be used with theatertek or you can use it with a more feature-rich (but a lot more complicated) player like zoomplayer 4.

The soundcard will make a difference to the sound but it depends on how you connect it to the amp, if its by a digital connection (optical or coaxial) then the difference will probably be negligible. If you use the analogue outputs into a power amp (or integrated) then the difference will be more obvious. Depends also on the quality of the audio equipment you are using.

Bottom line is that a properly configured HCPC will be better than all but the most exotic of stand alone equipment. But there's the rub, its got to be properly configured. I wouldn't let this put you off, quite the opposite, but just make sure you're prepared for a bit of tweaking and fiddling. At the end of the day there are plenty of helpful people on here and you'll learn a lot doing it.

good luck,

Owain