Building a gym in my garden (photo heavy).

Thug

Reaction score
I used to go to my local gym until a few years ago (not lock down related) when I became lazy.
The issue i had was that 1 hour in the gym would be 2 hours out of my day, when factoring in driving there/back, getting changed, showered, waiting for equipment etc.
This was 2 hours i struggled to find, so i didnt bother going for a few years, but have now decided the time was right to start again.
In the winter it was even worse.

I didnt want any gym equipment in the house, so thought about building one in the garden (but didnt have unlimited funds).
We bought a section of land off the council a few years ago, part of which we used as a patio area that we used maybe twice at the most, so that was the place i wanted to build it. This area was 8' wide and I could make it around 12' long (without cutting too many trees), which although fairly small, was big enough).

IMG_4656.jpg

IMG_3130.jpg

So I set about clearing the ground and cutting a few trees back.

IMG_6066.jpg

The ground itself is rock solid, due to being at the end of the building development and there being lots of hardcore dumped there and also lots of trees and roots etc,

Next came my planning of the base.
I wanted it off the ground (and the damp) and also insulated, so made it double skinned.
I stood it on lots of bricks and concrete with a polythene sheet water barrier.

IMG_6119.jpg
IMG_6198.jpg

IMG_6199.jpg

I then had to think about the walls and roof etc, and mainly the height so I wasn't stuck with it being too small.
I wanted to use the existing fence and posts as part of the shed to save money and to also make it blend in as part of it is at the end of our drive and my wife wanted it to blend in.

IMG_6211.jpg

IMG_6215.jpg

IMG_6220.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6066.jpg
    IMG_6066.jpg
    532.7 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
Next came the roof.
Now I knew I never wanted felt as it would have looked scruffy from the drive and my wife wouldnt have liked that, so decided on tiles which i bought cheaply off FaceBook Market Place.

IMG_6239.jpg

I also made a (almost hidden) door (and later took the gate off).

IMG_6280.jpg

Now for the inside.
I again wanted it insulated and double skinned, so went mainly with 18mm T&G board, and 12mm for the roof (due to the weight and doing it alone).

IMG_6272.jpg

IMG_6274.jpg

IMG_6275.jpg

Notice the hook in the ceiling so I can attach TRX straps or a punchbag etc.

IMG_6295.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6250.jpg
    IMG_6250.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Now to see if my few pieces of gym equipment fit.
I have also put spot lights in the ceiling, 3x double sockets and a heater/fan above where the door will go.

IMG_6288.jpg

I also put some gym mating down.

IMG_6301.jpg

A lick of paint, but still needs a lot of gaps filling with caulk.

IMG_6306.jpg

IMG_6304.jpg

IMG_6307.jpg

Last edited:
There is still quite a lot to do, like the gable ends need capping with wood or something, I need to buy some French doors, but finding it difficult due to this lock down to buy used, quite a lot to d inside still also, but will update when/as i do them.
The front i will use T&G wood, which i think i will varnish with yacht varnish.

Last edited:
great stuff..!

i used to find it hard to get motivated doing stuff at home, but since the lockdown I've had to rethink that mentality and whilst I have no gym stuff now, I'm doing kettlebells 2-3 times a week and going for a jog 2 times a week...

I realise there is a wall missing, but have you got adequate ventilation

great stuff..!

i used to find it hard to get motivated doing stuff at home, but since the lockdown I've had to rethink that mentality and whilst I have no gym stuff now, I'm doing kettlebells 2-3 times a week and going for a jog 2 times a week...
The lock down has not really done anything for me, its still 'business as usual' at work.
The only thing is the inconvenience, where I cant just nip to B&Q for the odd thing I may need.
I started this in late Jan, and still nowhere near finished because of these restrictions.

I realise there is a wall missing, but have you got adequate ventilation
Its still very much a work in progress, so there will be ventilation, just not decided where yet.

Looks good. Even though I used to work in a gym part time at the weekend. I much prefer to train at home now. So much quicker.
Trying to convince my dad to let me have his spin bike.
Easier than running.
I'd like to pick some kettle bells up but they're not cheap.

Looks good. Even though I used to work in a gym part time at the weekend. I much prefer to train at home now. So much quicker.
Trying to convince my dad to let me have his spin bike.
Easier than running.
I'd like to pick some kettle bells up but they're not cheap.

yes, kettlebell prices have rocketed now...i got my 28kg brand new on ebay in 2017 for 30 quid..!

mind this one could go fairly cheap.. :) chester le street too..

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Mate - you'll be too lazy to even travel to the back of your garden for the gym in a month or so.

That's the nature of putting yourself through physical pain when it's an option. :D

Nice idea though.

Its looks great - well done. :smashin: would love to do something similar. I can appreciate space is at a premium - is there enough room for the TRX etc?

You could always have a outdoor area in front, for the summer months. Couple of mats, free weights etc, you'd be in burpee heaven.

Mate - you'll be too lazy to even travel to the back of your garden for the gym in a month or so.

That's the nature of putting yourself through physical pain when it's an option. :D

Nice idea though.

Possibly, then the wife can have her 'garden room'.

For many years (on and off) I used to go to the gym 5x per week and run 5 miles to get there too (my wife would pick me up or I would walk home).
This way I can nip in there for 15 mins at a time, or spend an hour or 2 if I want.
I just need to get back into it.
Also my wife and her daughter are excited to use it too.

Its looks great - well done. :smashin: would love to do something similar. I can appreciate space is at a premium - is there enough room for the TRX etc?

You could always have a outdoor area in front, for the summer months. Couple of mats, free weights etc, you'd be in burpee heaven.
Yes, on one of the photos you can see my ceiling hook for my TRX (can also be used for a punchbag too).

View attachment 1283378
I did think about using the front of it too, for more outdoor training, and it is an option.

Last edited:
How much would you say it cost to build (not including gym stuff)
I have no idea, been buying bits and pieces for a few months.
I wanted it to come in around £1,000 and it may be somewhere close (possibly less).
The roof tiles cost £60.
The 18mm t&g about £10 per board.
It’s the little things that you don’t think about that cost. Like screws, nails, sand, cement (buckets for mixing), bricks, hinges, door lock, paint, no-nails, flooring, electrical cable, sockets, etc.
The gym stuff was the cheapest (all bought used). £150 for the treadmill (Reebok ZR9), £30 cross trainer, £100 multi gym, £25 for the climber.

Thinking about it, the total cost so far including the gym equipment might be about £1,000
However I still need the French doors which could cost anything up to £500.

Last edited:
Good work. I have a home gym and use it most nights. No excuse when it’s just outside. Wouldn’t rejoin a gym now. Are you going to get a squat rack?

Good work. I have a home gym and use it most nights. No excuse when it’s just outside. Wouldn’t rejoin a gym now. Are you going to get a squat rack?
If I bought a squat rack I would have to get rid of something else.
having said that I never used to do squats when I went to the gym as my balance was poor.
I am more inclined to use cables so may get one of these...

AC4F833B-EB64-4FF7-8DDC-5982E5B040D9.jpeg

Wow. Looks really good. I notice that it's very close to the fence lines. Any issues with planning or building regs?

Wow. Looks really good. I notice that it's very close to the fence lines. Any issues with planning or building regs?

As long as it’s less than 2.5m high, it should be OK. And part P for the electrics wouldn’t apply if it’s fed from an extension lead (I don’t know if it is or not). TBH I wouldn’t think that the planning office or building regs people would take any interest in it...... though I’ve been wrong before! :)

It’s 2.4mtr high so should be ok.
Its not next to anyone else’s property. The front and left side are onto my garden and drive. The right and rear are onto a small council owned wooded area and about 4mtr from the public path (and not visible when the trees are in leaf).
As for the electric, I’m not yet sure what to do.
I thought of maybe hardwiring it to a fused spur on my mains, failing that it will have to be run off an extension (which I don’t fancy).

As for planning permission I don’t think I need it for this, but on a similar note about 7 years ago I built a large (3x7x3mtr) shed at a previous house. I asked someone I knew who worked for the council if I should apply for PP and was told not to. The reason being, if it’s already built the council are unlikely to chase you or take you to court as they are so strapped for cash and resources. And that is only going to happen in the unlikely event of someone making a complaint.
If you apply and it’s refused then they will check on you and make an example of you if you still go ahead with it.
So speak with neighbours and let them know what you are doing then just build it and hope no one complains, and if they do, hope the council don’t follow it up.

Last edited:
As for the electric, I’m not yet sure what to do.
I thought of maybe hardwiring it to a fused spur on my mains, failing that it will have to be run off an extension (which I don’t fancy).
The electricians forums are awash with people asking how to wire sheds, summerhouses and hot tubs etc, at the moment. Can't think why.

I would not use an extension lead; however careful you might be, it could end up being damaged and could be a danger to the family. You could hard wire it from a fused spur or run a new circuit out there. The later would need notifying to your LBC.

Never visited the electricians forum, but will do now, thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom