Building a Gaming PC - build any good?

Raginbull657

Novice Member
Hey guys,

I'm currently building my own gaming pc, and i would like some pointers on weither this build i have is any good:http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/2OwK
I'm hoping this will be able to play Skyrim, MW3 and any other new game on medium-ultra. And i hope that this build will hopefully serve me for awhile till i have to upgrade it much.

Also what would happen if i was to change the hard drive to a lower RPM? to like a 5400 or 5900?

Last edited:

Faqade

Standard Member
I've never really been a PC gamer so have never built one for gaming but that one seems pretty decent imo. Have you had a look around online for reviews of the individual parts, mainly from gamers? Might be worth a look and might give you some info about the motherboards overclocking capabilities so you can get that extra bit of power. As it's a gaming rig, I'd probably think about some more higher-end RAM than the ones you've chosen there.

You can use this calculator to see if the power supply is enough:

http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/

Maybe someone who does PC gaming can give you some better advice :)

shadowboxer

All is compatible but I'd personally make a couple of changes. As Faqade has said I would get some better RAM. You may not notice improvement in performance but it'll likely be more reliable and run at a lower voltage. I would go with a better new generation SSD such as the Crucial M4 or OCZ Agility 3 rather than the Kingstonn SSD. PSU is more than enough for a single GTX580, even a high quality 550-600W will be plenty. If your looking to go SLI in the future then consider an 850W PSU. XFX are very good btw. I would personally save a bit of money and get either a 2GB 6950 or GTX570. You may also want to wait a couple of weeks as AMD's next generation graphics cards are expected to be announced. CPU cooler is a dencent mid range one but £36 for it is a bit expensive. Have a look at the Gelid Tranquillo for around £22-25, better performance and quieter. Case is personal preference but not my cup of tea. Lol. I would stick with a 7200RPM drive if your planning on storing games there, if its for media, films/music etc then a 5400RPM green drive is best. What resolution is your monitor? And what budget do you have in mind? Do you need a copy of Windows 7?

thelostprophet

Looks pretty good mate. I'm personally an ATI fan so would suggest the 6950 2GB. Its reasonably priced and plays everything ive thrown at it on pretty much full graphics. You also have the advantage of eyefinity for multi monitor set ups etc. Agree with shadowboxer, worth spending more for better RAM. I went for 8BG of Corsair Vengeance which does the job. Definitely think you should consider a different motherboard though as it can be the bottle neck of the most expensive systems. The Asus P67 Sabertooth offers great overclocking utilities.

All depends on your budget of course but if you want to keep costs down then certainly go for SSD. They really increase the performance noticeably.

Raginbull657

Novice Member
IM trying to keep the price at around about £1000, the windows 7 is in with the pricing in the link i posted.

With the Asus P67 Sabertooth would i need to upgrade the power supply? or would XFX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V be enough to have it over clocked?

My CPU cooler is only £22.75 from amazon with free delivery to the UK, With the RAM should i go and upgrade it to 1x8GB ram stick or keep it with 2x4GB ram sticks?

All of my parts with the new additions (Asus P67 Sabertooth, Crucial M4 64GB SSD)
It all equals to £1,041.37 + all delivery costs for each item and that's without a Hard drive... :(

Could you specify the "6950 2GB" graphics card? Because i got http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/part/asus-video-card-eah69502di2s2gd5 Dont know if it is the right one, or this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004ULZ7YY/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&m=A3F5BGC3U9H8PE

Last edited:

shadowboxer

No need to change PSU if you change the motherboard. The XFX 750W is ifne albeit a overkill for a single gpu setup. Personally would get a Z68 motherboard for the extra features and upgradability to Ivy Bridge CPUs. In terms of which 2GB 6950, doesn't make much difference, get the brand you want, better cooler, design, overclocking potential etc etc.

shadowboxer

No that PSU is very good. Overclocking doesn't draw that much extra power. The key is having a good quality PSU that can provide stable power.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom