Building a false wall

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by strees, Nov 4, 2005.

1. strees

strees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to build a false wall for my plasma, to hide the cabling and also to provide storage for the dvd all in one system and freeview box.

I appreciate a few of you have done this, and wondered how you went about it. For example, assumiong the "wall" was build with 2"x2" and then plasterboarded, did you then have it skimmed or use lining paper. If so, did you do this with the plasma in place, or leave enough gap around to be able to remove the plasma with ease???

2. Blingtastic

Blingtastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi strees,
    I've just built a false fireplace and the whole lot was skimmed to give a better finish in my opinion. I'll send pictures later once my plasma arrives today.hopefully!

3. yellowpostit

yellowpostit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've done this too. First we wall mounted the plasma before any work started, and marked on the wall where the edges of the screen were (not where the edges of the wall mount were), and the depth of the screen. We then added 2 inches around the edges for ventilation, plus another 1/4" (I think) or the depth of the plasterboard plus skim. Then we mounted the timber frame, plaster boarded over the top, and finally skimmmed it. It looks well smart - pictures soon hopefully, when i get my hands on a digicam.

4. strees

strees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers ... that was what I was thinking, approx 2" all around for ventilation and ease of access. Was going to place some low level LED with the "gap" to backlight the screen.

Did you bother with any ventilation on the outside of the false wall, or is the 2" all around adequate?

5. yellowpostit

yellowpostit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I left a narrow gap the same length of the plasma at the top of the recess, the whole thing is hollow anyway so the warm air can go up inside it, and on the sides of the chimney breast at the top I put little air vents. But the 2" gap might be fine on its own.

6. strees

strees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm ... that could work. It could also assist in mounting thr plasma (ie a space to lift the plasma into to allow it to hook onto the top of the bracket).

Cheers muchly!

7. yellowpostit

yellowpostit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My gap isn't that big - the recess depth is about 4 inches, and the gap at the top of the recess for ventilation is only about 1/4", right at the back.

8. yellowpostit

yellowpostit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...but I see what you mean. I've got the wall mount from av-sales (the special offer in this forum) and you only need about 1" to 1.5" to lift it off, so a 2" gap all round the screen will cover it, and there's no need for a big hole at the top of the recess...