1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building a decent budget cd/mp3 system for VW Polo

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by DeargDoom, Oct 13, 2004.

1. DeargDoom

DeargDoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could someone please advise me on buying a good sounding system for my '96 Polo. The unit in it now ( Blaupuntz radio/tape player) is, I'd imagine, the one that came with it as new and is very thin sounding with no bass worth talking about.

What I'd like to do is replace it with a cd player and some decent speakers but am not sure of a good match for the Polo. As the car is 8 years old you can understand I dont want to go overboard, I was thinking of spending about 150-200eu on player and 50eu or so on speakers.

I like listening to classic rock type music eg.Deep Puple,Thin Lizzy,Rory Gallagher etc. so I need something with a fairly good clout/slam. I like the look of this unit http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_...artno=CDE9821RM.

I'd be delighted to hear anybodys views.

2. bazzason

bazzason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the alpine units are very good for sound quality. coupled with the alpine SPR speakers they provide a good amount of up front bass, especially if you amplify the front speakers. they play low frequencies well, which would compliment your musical tastes.

you may have to stretch your budget a little to get speakers with good clout/slam, but nothing more than around 100eu. the biggest improvement comes if you decide to amplify the front speakers.

3. MrMatt

MrMatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can only agree, it would take alot to convince me to buy anything other than Alpine ever again, I've got SPR176A's up front, SPR694A's in the rear both running of a MRV-F540 amp, and 2 x SWR-1241D's running of a MRD-M1001, all controlled by a lovely Alpine H/U. These unfortunatly are more money than you're looking to spemd but the best advise I could give to anybody and I supose this counts in the case of most audio equipment is if you cant afford to get a good quality system in one transaction, buy it over a period of time, IMO you'd only regret buying cheap products, then after a while you'll upgrade anyway, U C?
    Or you could just say I'm speaking out of my ass, take it or leave it. :)

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Sony make loads of OK budget MP3 CD player units that will power speakers to a reasonable level but a smalll compact sub and amp combo with new HU will give most bang per buck........

5. DeargDoom

DeargDoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for advice guys, does anybody know if the Alpine CDE-9821R CD Tuner can power a sub without an amp.

6. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You really wouldn't want to power a sub off a headunit, leave that to an external amplifier and use the headunit to power "normal" front and rear speakers.....or use the amplifier to power sub and other speaker if it's powerful and has enough channels.

Best bet sub wise is to look at all the sub amp and box deals on the net and search for reviews of the various kit to get an idea of whats good and whats not.