bhavanchopra

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Over the last year I have been stop and start in trying to complete my home cinema. Due to ongoing works in the house I have never got around to completing it and being happy with the layout. I have all of the following equipment purchased and/or installed:

Acer M550 4K projector

Kef Q250c Center Speaker
Kef Q550 x 2 Left and Right Front Speakers
Artcoustic SL Target Mini x 2 Left and Right Surround Speakers
Kef Q350 x 2 Left and Right Rear Surround Speakers
Monitor Audio CT165 x 2 In-Ceiling Atmos Speakers
Kef Kube 10b Subwoofer

Marantz SR7012 AVR

I now need some help on speaker placement and projector screens. I have attached some plans of the room which I have made exactly to size. At the front of the room I have a large bay window, in front of which I will have my projector screen. At the moment in the plans I have left a gap between the wall and the screen, but the screen could go flush against the wall, blocking the bay window (I have no issue in blocking the bay). Question then arises, do my front left+right speakers sit in the bay window as far wide as possible, or do they come infront and then wider into the main room? I have assumed the second idea and have the speakers sitting in front of the bay, angled in towards the listener. The sofa is a modular 6 piece sofa hence the size, but the middle back section is the main viewing spot. Adjacent to this is where I have placed the SL Target Mini speakers at ear height on the wall. Above the listener are the two ceiling Atmos speakers. At the rear I have the two Kef speakers angled in towards the listener. Every speaker apart from the ceiling speakers can be adjusted - hence why I am asking for help now!

I'm open to ideas and suggestions as this is the phase of the build where I need to start fixing things into place permanently. Projector screen is also on my shopping list. I ideally want a fixed screen and can then put heavy duty curtains into the Bay window. Any recommendations? The size looks like it needs to be around 110 - 120 inches diagonally 16:9.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-05 at 23.37.03.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-05 at 23.37.03.png
    73.3 KB · Views: 165
  • Screenshot 2021-01-05 at 23.36.42.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-05 at 23.36.42.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 169
  • Screenshot 2021-01-05 at 23.51.00.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-05 at 23.51.00.png
    128.3 KB · Views: 170
Hi,

For 7.1.2(2 overhead speakers) They need to be infront of the listening position, 80degrees angle is the recommended. It doesn't have to be perfect as its only a guide. Why not go 7.1.4 as your room is long enough?

For the left and right speaker placement I would personally make the screen size so that i could place them at the sides as you have shown for a better sound stage.

What are your room dims? and listening position dimensions?

Hi,

For 7.1.2(2 overhead speakers) They need to be infront of the listening position, 80degrees angle is the recommended. It doesn't have to be perfect as its only a guide. Why not go 7.1.4 as your room is long enough?

For the left and right speaker placement I would personally make the screen size so that i could place them at the sides as you have shown for a better sound stage.

What are your room dims? and listening position dimensions?

Hey! Thanks for the input - funny you mention the 4 overheads. I have another 2 ceiling speakers installed but they are further forward and therefore I have ignored them as I dont think they will fit into the correct positioning. I have attached a photo of where these are located.

From the listening position to the bottom of the screen is around 3.8m.

Room dimensions:

3m wide
6.8m long (ignoring the bay window)

From the front of the room the ceiling speakers are:
Front row: 2m
Back row: 4m

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-06 at 10.49.29.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-06 at 10.49.29.png
    147.7 KB · Views: 161
  • Screenshot 2021-01-06 at 10.54.57.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-06 at 10.54.57.png
    43.1 KB · Views: 157
I found the Dolby Atmos speaker placement guides very helpful when setting up my room. Just scroll down the page and choose your setup, it gives recommended angles etc..

UPDATE:

My AVR (Marantz SR7012) can handle 11 channels, powering only 9. As mentioned in the above reply, I have 4 Atmos speakers installed. I would also need some advice on additional amps.

Right now, when I have fired up the system I'm getting good volume from the AVR. I don't necessarily feel the need for an additional amp to drive my front channels as some other builds have done. Would anyone highly recommend this, and why?

For the second pair of Atmos speakers - what sort of amp do I need to power these? I don't want to spend too much!

I found the Dolby Atmos speaker placement guides very helpful when setting up my room. Just scroll down the page and choose your setup, it gives recommended angles etc..

Hey! yes I have seen this link. Unfortunately the ceiling speakers are already fitted in the above shown positions and can't now be moved. I have to make do with where they are - hence why I feel I may be better off sticking to 2 Atmos speakers rather than 4 as my front Atmos speakers sit quite far forward. But any advice is massively appreciated!

Hey! Thanks for the input - funny you mention the 4 overheads. I have another 2 ceiling speakers installed but they are further forward and therefore I have ignored them as I dont think they will fit into the correct positioning. I have attached a photo of where these are located.

From the listening position to the bottom of the screen is around 3.8m.

Room dimensions:

3m wide
6.8m long (ignoring the bay window)

From the front of the room the ceiling speakers are:
Front row: 2m
Back row: 4m

Roughly speaking a 100 to120" would be ok for viewing distance, its personal preference. Some people feel ok with a wider viewing angle. I personally do not. A 120" wouldnt leave much room either side being roughly 2.8m wide. A 100" fixed would be roughly 2.33m wide. I would get some cardboard and mock it up. See if it looks comfortable. I use the 92" version of this SCREEN. Im happy with it for the cost.

I would say the further forward speakers would work better but the rears would need to be moved back for better separation.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I have a 7.1.2 setup with a marrantz 6013, I find having the 2 Atmos speakers really helps, never had 4 so don't know the difference. My screen is acoustically transparent which helps with positioning the front speakers getting them ear level. Not sure if you want to hide your speakers though as they're definitely prettier than mine (DIY speakers) 😂

Hi, I would definitely go with 4 overhead speakers.

Easy way to see if the ones already installed would work, would be to measure from your seated height to the ceiling. From the ceiling, measure the same distance to your speaker.

Think Pythagorean theory.

The Marantz allows you to reassign amplifier channels. You could pick up a good amp and use it for the front left and right channels.

Hi, I would definitely go with 4 overhead speakers.

Easy way to see if the ones already installed would work, would be to measure from your seated height to the ceiling. From the ceiling, measure the same distance to your speaker.

Think Pythagorean theory.

The Marantz allows you to reassign amplifier channels. You could pick up a good amp and use it for the front left and right channels.

I have attached a diagram with dotted lines at the correct angles as suggested by dolby when using 4 overheads. As you can see my speakers are currently too close to each other and the sweet spot is too far forward and too high. I can adjust the position of the tweeters in these ceiling speakers which helps but as it stands I'd need to move one of the rows.

I think I have two options here. Either I stick with the second row of ceiling speakers and move my sofa back (and then move my side speakers back too).

OR

I re install my second row of ceiling speakers much further back and keep my first row where they are, with the correct angle for where my sofa currently is.

Do you mean I can tell my Marantz to power everything apart from my front L & R, and then power these myself? Any recommendations for an amp for my Kef Q550's?

I have attached a diagram with dotted lines at the correct angles as suggested by dolby when using 4 overheads. As you can see my speakers are currently too close to each other and the sweet spot is too far forward and too high. I can adjust the position of the tweeters in these ceiling speakers which helps but as it stands I'd need to move one of the rows.

I think I have two options here. Either I stick with the second row of ceiling speakers and move my sofa back (and then move my side speakers back too).

OR

I re install my second row of ceiling speakers much further back and keep my first row where they are, with the correct angle for where my sofa currently is.

Do you mean I can tell my Marantz to power everything apart from my front L & R, and then power these myself? Any recommendations for an amp for my Kef Q550's?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-06 at 11.33.42.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-06 at 11.33.42.png
    165.1 KB · Views: 150
Judging by the diagram it looks like the fronts height speakers are correct. The rear height speakers should be moved back a little so they are not right above you.

The marantz is very flexible, and amp channels can be reassigned.

I do not have an amp recommendation, it depends on how much you want to spend.

Judging by the diagram it looks like the fronts height speakers are correct. The rear height speakers should be moved back a little so they are not right above you.

The marantz is very flexible, and amp channels can be reassigned.

I do not have an amp recommendation, it depends on how much you want to spend.

I don't really want to spend more than £150 - £200 for a 2 channel amp. Not sure if this is possible?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom