• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Builder measured up wrong now wants more !

I had a quote for my drive done half way through the job he comes to me and says I've measured wrong 20m sq out, a grand more now I'm so laid back I fall over but the wife had a go at him price quoted price payed etc, now he says he won't charge for labour so £500 am I within my rights to say no or as it's a genuine mistake should I just bite the bullet and pay him

hippo99

Distinguished Member
How do you miss 20m sq?
A double decker bus is 15m, so he missed the equivalent of 2+ Buses stacked on top of each other? 1m I could understand, but 20m out?

Sounds like he's trying it on. Did you check from previous customers before hiring? Maybe consult with trading standards & see what your options are?

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Get someone else.

Bigfoot9

Banned
again how can you miss that much?

I would measure it my self then compare it to the quote.
take a pic of what he's all ready done, and missed and show us.

simplicity96

Distinguished Member
A quote is a price you pay. A mistake on the builders end of not doing his job right is his mistake not yours. I wouldn't pay him a penny more than he quoted and tell him you expect either the job complete at that price or he leaves with nothing and you get someone else in.

It does sound like he is trying to pull a fast one, as mentioned that is a lot of land to just "miss"

nheather

Distinguished Member
Get someone else.

He's half way through the job though.

If it were me I would be pissed off for a while. Then I would calm down because it needs to be done.

First of all I would consider how much £500 is as a percentage of the whole job.

I would then look at the quote carefully. Firstly, is it a quote or an estimate?

Does it itemise the square area and the labour / materials for that square area. If it does, and the square area listed is wrong and the amount extra tallies then I would probably go along with it - bit grumpy but on the basis that it does seem to be genuine mistake.

And finally, has he done a good job up to now?

Cheers,

Nigel

nheather

Distinguished Member
A quote is a price you pay. A mistake on the builders end of not doing his job right is his mistake not yours. I wouldn't pay him a penny more than he quoted and tell him you expect either the job complete at that price or he leaves with nothing and you get someone else in.

It does sound like he is trying to pull a fast one, as mentioned that is a lot of land to just "miss"

But slightly different if the quote says

Pave 100 square metres, Labour = £xxx, Materials = £yyy

and he is now saying that the area is actually 120 square metres

I would say it depends on what the quote says.

Cheers,

Nigel

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
How do you miss 20m sq?
A double decker bus is 15m, so he missed the equivalent of 2+ Buses stacked on top of each other? 1m I could understand, but 20m out?

Sounds like he's trying it on. Did you check from previous customers before hiring? Maybe consult with trading standards & see what your options are?

I think your maths is wrong.....

SteveCritten

Distinguished Member
Like Nigel says it depends on the original quote. How much for how big an area did he quote originally? Sure,y everybody in the world would measure up themselves before the builders came with the quotes so they had a rough idea of what they were being quoted for. There are loads of places online that give rough guesstimates for different types of jobs in different areas.

simplicity96

Distinguished Member
But slightly different if the quote says

Pave 100 square metres, Labour = £xxx, Materials = £yyy

and he is now saying that the area is actually 120 square metres

I would say it depends on what the quote says.

Cheers,

Nigel

I understand what your saying but it was the builders job to get the quote right. Two things from a different point of view.

1. The op as a customer wouldn't have provided the measurements for the work, or hidden 20 sq ft so it came as a surprise.

2. When quoting the builder had chance to measure up and double check his measurements to make sure the quote given was correct.

The amount he is saying to be out is a sizeable area and you would have thought to be very noticeable when he was there first. When ever I quoted people in the past I have done it on a informed judgement of the job ahead with a disclaimer of if the price of materials fluctuate beyond a absorbable amount then this could increase the price, the customer is made fully aware of this. If I found something to be my mistake halfway through for not doing my job correctly I wouldn't expect my customer to foot the bill for my mistake. But that's just me and my opinion really. And my line of work is different.

I would at the very least want a plausable explanation for how it was possible to miss such a large area when quoting.

blue max

Distinguished Member
Well, if you had cheaper quotes than the original plus the 'extra', then I would say he has got the job 'because' of his mistake. I am presuming you got other quotes. Was he the cheapest?

It's always a difficult position. Get his back up and he'll cut corners elsewhere (you can be sure!). Perhaps show him a cheaper quote if you have one and split the difference. Realistically, you need to take the heat out of it and work out a proposal which is acceptable to you both. I'm thinking £250 or thereabouts. Is this all plus vat? I'd definitely want that not to be plus.

Have you measured the area yourself and do you agree?

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
Well, seeing as he didn't Quote for it, you shouldn't pay....

That reminds me, the job I'm on at the minute- complete Bathroom refurb. I didn't actually Quote to move the soil and vent pipe because it got in the way of the Bath slope, also that Tap in the cloakroom that's leaking, I must charge my hourly rate to sort that.

Judge the builder on whether you think he's genuine or not. Ask for a receipt if you don't trust him. Go with your gut feeling. Everyone is human and we all make mistakes. This could either be the beginning of a wonderful relationship between you and your builder or a quick cough up and out the door and you're left with a severe case of buyers remorse.

ok ill try and answer a few of these
original quote was £2800 thereabouts for 50sq m which now is as a say 70
No other quotes taken as i have seen his work and was happy up to now its bang on and looks superb
other builders wouldnt quote me as no side entrance so everything and i mean everyhting hand balled through the house in buckets not even a barrow
and old stuff ferryed back through they have not stopped
yes it was a quote on letter headed paper stating 50sq m of stone

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
I paid about the same for 25m in my place. That was Alpha Antique though but the price does sound incredible reasonable.

blue max

Distinguished Member
Can you see if it is 70sqm and is there some reason why he couldn't get an accurate measurement?
It is 40% more!

I think it fair if you cover the materials in that case. Maybe see if there is something else you could get him to do to mitigate the additional cost.

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
As he is just by the sound of it charging for materials then pay him, it sounds as though you have got it cheap anyway, I paid £2400 5 years ago for 50 square metres of creteprint....

nheather

Distinguished Member
Is it a complex shape? One where he would have divided up into a number of rectangles when taking measurements. Perhaps when adding them together he missed one.

In your shoes, if you gut feel is that he is a nice honest chap and you are happy with his work I would give him the benefit and pay. I wouldn't be entirely happy, who would, but if I could see the mistake and was happy with the work my focus would be in getting the job done.

Cheers,

Nigel

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
I don't know how they measure driveways but there can't be a huge amount of wastage. A bit of a schoolboy error to say the least. The small blocks usually mean far less wastage compared to say a stone patio with large slabs.

for sure i will pay as they should be done tomorrow so want it done n dusted move on, i wouldnt say complex but not a straightforward square ,but it just leaves a sour taste in my mouth and the wife is on my case saying im too soft i might ask for £250 end of the month and the month after
thanks to all for your imput about the measuring i never did before he came as i just try to trust others judgement but will do in the future

WeegyAVLover

Distinguished Member
Porter I think you need to decide what's fair.

Like you said you have they are doing a fair job and putting the effort in.

As Max said if you don't pay and continue with him he will cut corners which is crap but could well come true.

Also by the sounds of other and their work they pay roughly the same for a lot less sqm.

I think the compromise of meeting him in the middle seems like a good one.

But after all that is said and done it really is up to your wife

clc.sheff

Distinguished Member
I think if you had got another quote it would have put this into perspective. He's quoted low even for 50 sq metres if it involves handballing all the materials in buckets. Pay him and get the job finished. He will still make naff all on it with the extra £500. He is an idiot for missing 20 sq metres but if the job is as difficult as you say and the work is good it serves no one to try and force the job through on the current budget. He may even have to walk off the job to try to recoup costs.
I have quoted on and completed many jobs such as yours. It is important to keep the end result as the most important factor. £3300 in total for 70 sq metres of paving handballed through someone's house is a steal.

P.s. Buy him a new tape measure while you are at it!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom