Build Your Own NAS: File Serving & Media Server

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by NuklearNik, Feb 6, 2009.

1. NuklearNik

NuklearNik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Picked up some old mobos last week (Gigabyte GA7OMM - Athlon XP 2000: QDI Superb 4V, P4 2 Ghz) and contemplating building my own NAS.

Primary functions are likely to be file serving, iTunes server and media storage, ready to stream to a media streamer - once I've taken the plunge - and back up functions. So that'll entail acquiriing some form of SATA RAID controller. I also intend to use it to store roaming profiles (Win XP Pro).

Looking for recommendations for OS (FreeNAS, NASLite-Media or others) and the best way to configure. Like should I focus on a good NAS OS and add something like Twonky MEdia or go for an all in one like NAS Lite M?

I'd like to think I'll be able to manage power consumption as well by having power management options in the OS, so that drives shut down when not in use. And for the OS I've seen a few examples of Flash Drives being used. Am I right in thinking that flash drives have a finite life, 100,000 write cycles, and how would this affect a NAS if, say, the flash drive failed?

Any help or advice gratefully received.:clap:

Thanks

2. timearp

timearp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I plan to do the same, but can't afford all the parts I need yet. OS will depend on what software you want to run on it, that will then tell you what hardware configuration you need which will then sort out your power consumption. Draw up a grid with OS and Software, work out which work with which. Add in cost as well as this will be a factor.

I don't claim to be an expert but my ideas for the structure are as follows:

OS on compact flash: Easily replaced, if fails don't lose any of your data, low power consumption. Cannot be infinetly written to with all OS (freenas you can lock down to remove this problem I think). Limited to what OS will run on it.
    OS on Raid 1: More fault tolerant than a CF Card, larger capacity, indefinete (!) writes, uses more power, more user friendly.

You need to balance cost/knowledge/user friendly-ness/etc, have fun!