1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build update

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by ChrisAllenFiz, Jul 15, 2002.

1. ChrisAllenFiz

ChrisAllenFiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thought it might interest some of you if I sort of kept a diary of the stuff that happens as I build my HCPC> Hopefully some info may be of use to someone.

Components that I have so far

Yeong Yang uATX a101 case in Dark Grey and cream.
    Verax P11 silent heatsink and fan
    Pabst 612NGML case fan
    Chaintech 7SID motherboard
    256Mb Crucial Tech DDR ram

Well, I installed the motherboard tonight. I have to say I`m impressed with the build quality of the case. Nice and solid, with a 200W power supply (crucially with a temperature controlled fan). outside of the case is a little more disappointing, as I was expecting all dark grey rather than a grey/cream mix. I will consider adding a custom facia later though. The only other possible mod is to change the PSU fan for a 60mmx60mmx10mm quiet model, but it depends how loud the PSU gets at full load.

The motherboard appears well made with just a heatsink on the chipset (important for silent running), and all the holes in the right places. Sometimes cases and motherboards don`t fit together well, but in this case the holes matched fine first time without too much pressure applied. The DDR memory was also easy to install, which can be another problem with cheap motherboards. SIS chipset can be better for HCPC than VIA as they are often more stable (or so I`ve read).

Finally I hooked up the two fans and turned on. These puppies are QUIET. even with all three fans running there wasnt really much noise to complain about. Hope they perform as well under load.

Hoping to buy the rest of the components on wednesday (when my credit card switches over to next month :)) and the other components wil be

Lite-On 16x Dvd rom (ltd163)
    Radeon 7200
    Philips Rhythmic edge Soundcard
    pinnacle rave tv capture card
    seagate 40Gb 7200 RPM hard drive

As you can see I`m aiming for as quiet as possible

I`ll update you all again when I`ve done the next round of installing, when hopefully the hardware should be complete!

Chris

2. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris,

Are those Seagate drives particularly quiet ? Now I've got the Enermax power supply and Verax CPU cooler fitted, the only appreciable noise coming from the PC now is the sound of the hard-drives.

Allan

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    I can vouch for the seagate barracuda drives - you can't hear them! The leds look a tad noisy though... :)

I've also got a Liteon, a quiet radial cpu fan and a Papst fan in the psu. Now I can't her the pc, but when a film is over, I can hear the pj instead..

Gary.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Yeah, PJ noise is an issue for us too, it's something I took into account when buying, I might try and build a quiet box for ours as it's 2m directly above the sofa! Just got to figura a way of getting enough air and the IR signal into it and still shield enough noise to be worth it. I'm definitely going to try one of those USB sound devices, so I can use my notebook to power the PJ, it would solve so many probs, not least noise. I'd love to have a small monitor for cueing up, and general maintenance etc. on my cinema PC, it currently has only the projector, but it seems a 15'' LCD is cheaper than a 8 or 10 shop till type. Anyone else got any ideas there?