• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Build Thread - Secret Home Cinema...

xar

Prominent Member
Hi all,

Long time lurker and home cinema fan, recent joiner and poster.

So after relocating our 2 year old to her new room right above the lounge, the home cinema has pretty much been relegated to the scrap heap in terms of getting to listen to it the way it should or getting the projector on. I have a monitor audio apex/Pioneer vsx-LX55 setup so this is most irritating.

So, I decided it was time to convert just over half of my detached double garage to a dedicated home cinema a few weeks back.

I got the floor built, the wood purchased for the walls and disaster struck. The wife found out and went ballistic. Now I was exactly hiding what I was building, but I wasn't advertising the fact either. Anyway, I was informed in no uncertain terms that there was no way were were converting half of OUR garage (our garage - she has been in in twice in 4 years!!!! The two time being when she offered "as much space as you want for as long as you want" to her sister to store her crap and supervising me loading said crap into MY garage where it remains to this day) to a home cinema. Great...

So I was at a loss what to do next. Leave the floor as was and use it for a gym/storage, or crack on and build an insulated and well lit room anyway? Decided on the latter with the view being that half would be my gym, the other being a tool storage/workshop area and the home cinema would just have to be forgotten about. As the room options developed, I realised that the storage shelves I was intending to move to the back of the room would host a projector and some speakers very nicely, and the other end wall was going to stay blank anyway for the weights bench/squat rack/gym floor area.

So, the idea for the secret home cinema formed. To all intents and purposes the room would be used for storage and work outs, but this doesn't mean it couldn't be wired for 7.1 plus a projector, and one of the things I am required to store in it is a double sofa...

So, I am still very much in build mode and definitely need some advice, but lets get onto the pics first then the questions:

External shot. The back half of the garage (perpendicular to the doors) will be the room. As you can see it is fully detached and at least 15-20 ft from any other property, but it is a quiet neighbourhood. The garage is double skinned but with no insulation.

8C802D6B-3326-4458-9DD4-92EA5C3CCF38-7012-000005208B7CBA94_zps4867b287.jpg

Internal - wall 1

This wall separates the room from the remainder of the garage. Intention is OSB and fireboard on the outside, insulation and single plasterboard on the inside (query to follow on this):

2B6999BF-5926-4379-9BBF-03D74F9A00FA-7012-0000052047B609AB_zps70b8b308.jpg

Wall 2 - Rear wall - This is a potential problem wall as it is separated from the brick by about 5mm at the bottom but touches near the top (only for a few cms when the wall juts out). The blue bits are DPM over air bricks. My concern is that this is the only wall touching an external wall and needs special attention. Queries to follow...

BE4D3AD8-9CE4-494E-A59D-D99053E7D677-7012-0000052055872CD7_zpsb405c4c1.jpg

18B4DE30-0ADF-4946-B856-756094436368-7012-0000052061D18A5E_zpsb34bea65.jpg

C3EFD890-874B-4E2B-89BA-B4A2E83B92D0-7012-000005202C4C6882_zps8f7883e4.jpg

Walls 3 and 4 - these were easy because they have a protruding brick support so I had to build them the depth of a brick plus a few mm from the external wall. Neither ends are touching the wall at all.

19BDACED-7085-43D3-8D26-0DE1525F6B4C-7012-000005202094A0D5_zpsa0d28478.jpg

A65AD7B9-6BEB-45C8-A727-8C99EBA36834-7012-000005206FD85BA3_zps13c0dca6.jpg

65D4AB4E-7B62-4033-BC70-3082464C0998-7012-0000052018A99A7F_zps795be9db.jpg

Floor - some shots as it was being build - think I made an error here as I used kingspan rather than acoustic insulation (this was because the floor was originally supposed to be 'floating' floorboards over the kingspan, but I didn't realise the slope was so bad so had to rebuild with wooden supports and jsut used what i had)

9909B818-5ED2-485E-90C5-3BC227B7D898-5597-000003C8FC8BC5ED_zps4ab74bdb.jpg

So thats it so far. Acoustic insulation and plasterboard due on monday, but I am having the following dilemma:

- I intended to simply double plasterboard the walls 2, 3, 4 and single on wall 1 as it open into the garage, and a single on the ceiling joists (with insulation), but am now wondering if this will be enough? Had assumed that the degree of detachment and the separation from other properties would be enough but now not so sure.

Options and opinions sought:

1 - continue as is - will be good enough
2 - double up on wall 1 and ceiling will be ok
3 - option1 but add insulation to existing garage pitched roof also
4 - resilient bars needed on ceiling and wall 2
5 - double up all/some walls and use green glue
6 - something else

I am on a budget so looking for the least bang for my buck (see what i did there ). All comments, queries and opinions most welcome...!!!!

Geps

Prominent Member
It's not really a question for us to answer as it's your money and neighbourhood...Fact is the more you do, the quieter it would be.

That said....you might want to look at doubling up the ceiling and back walls, that way if you find there is too much sound leakage then you can board over the front wall from the outside (of the room).

If you decide this route, read up on the 'three leaf effect' else you may find yourself undoing the gains you seek.

xar

Prominent Member
Thanks for the info. Just trying to get the balance right between cost and effectiveness. Just worried that because the floor is poorly sound proofed and the ceiling plasterboard will be attached directly to the joists, adding green glue for example would be no benefit as sounds would get out through these routes regardless.

Also, I sounded a lot grumpier than intended in the original thread as I had to delete the smileys and winks etc as I was over the picture count. :)

enigmatic

Banned
Don't live under the thumb pull your skirt back down and tell her who is boss! I make no disclaimer for events ending in divorce or a black eye for said party...

Hopefully you will have some kind of haven even if you have to listen to SWMBO :)

Sometimes I cant do everything I want either......sometimes

MassiveJim

Established Member
This is hilarious, a secret cinema. I love it.
please put a batman style piano in there that spins the bookcase round to reveal a cinema screen, drops the projector from the ceiling and drops a panel down to reveal all of the AV equipment. :D:D

xar

Prominent Member
This is hilarious, a secret cinema. I love it.
please put a batman style piano in there that spins the bookcase round to reveal a cinema screen, drops the projector from the ceiling and drops a panel down to reveal all of the AV equipment. :D:D

Will see what I can do buddy. Although I think my wife might have discovered this thread and is saving up a rollicking for me...! ;)

jagdeepp

Banned
Some free advice for you as I'm a lawyer. There is a perfect simple solution to your problem. I'll give you my advice on a totally pro bono basis. Divorce. You'd have an arguable case on the grounds that your wife's behaviour is unreasonable, frivolous and entirely vexatious. That her siblings property takes up valuable home cinema space is criminal.

Just do it. Complete the cinema. She can decorate the lounge and kitchen her way, that space is yours. Once it's complete she'll love it and thank you for it

xar

Prominent Member
Latest update (pics to follow):

- Decided to go with the green glue approach and is due to arrive tomorrow morning
- Single plaster board up on 3 of 4 walls
- Resilient bars added to celing
- Electrician has wired for 4 double plug points and 6 spotlights - due to return when the plasterboard is done

Hoping to get at it 4 nights this week so hopefully get all the walls double-boarded with GG and acoustic sealant. Bit ambitious perhaps as it is just me but will give it a go.

Issue so far have included the 'floating' wall into the middle of the garage not being quite straight and some of the vertical battens not being quite vertical. Managed to work around these minor niggles though but am sure I shall encounter more...!!!!

Also took some advice from the GG supplier to do the flloor so will be probably be putting down another layer of chipboard sandwiched with GG (12mm if i can find it to save on spaces, especially with the resilient bars eating into the ceiling...)

Last edited:

benjani

Banned
Some free advice for you as I'm a lawyer. There is a perfect simple solution to your problem. I'll give you my advice on a totally pro bono basis. Divorce. You'd have an arguable case on the grounds that your wife's behaviour is unreasonable, frivolous and entirely vexatious. That her siblings property takes up valuable home cinema space is criminal.

Just do it. Complete the cinema. She can decorate the lounge and kitchen her way, that space is yours. Once it's complete she'll love it and thank you for it

Lol...:laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom