Path-Side.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 663
  • Kitchen-End.jpg
    Kitchen-End.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 638
  • Kitchen-Window.jpg
    Kitchen-Window.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 881
With regards to soundproofing you may want to take a look here: http://www.domesticsoundproofing.co.uk/

The key with soundproofing is isolation and this company sells products which effectively give you walls, a floor, and a ceiling mounted on springs to absorb a huge amount of the sound that would otherwise pass through the structure of the building!!!

The bottom line is that if your acoustice plasterboard etc... is rigidly fixed (directy glued/screwed) to the structure of the building sound is going to transfer...

I also think it's how far you are willing to go...and the budget!! :D

The interior bricking has been making progress so I can now get a good idea of the size of the room (length ways anyway), and when you have been planning this on paper and in your minds eye for around 12 months, you have a sence of this thing is going to look.

But looking at it, it seems a lot smaller!! I'll keep you posted... :eek:

Les
why is the brick work only single skin. Please do not tell me that is all the builder is using or that he is going to do the block work after the brick work is finish. If I have got it wrong I am sorry.

Hi John,

Since those photos were taken, the interior breeze block is in there with insulation between the layers. I will post an update of photos shortly.

The builders initial built the outer skin then the inner layer went in! Actually if you look at the previous photos they have dotted a few blocks around the slab waiting to be bricked in! :D

Any more progress Les or have the builders gone on holiday...

John

Hmmm...you would think!!

Last week was a bit of a wash out as far as the build is concerned...absolute crap weather!! But they did clean the whole area up (we now have a rear garden again!), put a gravel base around the build and erected scaffolding for the next stage (but we cannot get to the rear garden now!!).

So more materials are being delivered today and I am hoping the brickies will be back tomorrow (I cannot see them coming today!!). We're already one day down due to the bank holiday, so I hope they can make some time up.

I will probably have some new photo updates this week...weather willing!!

go on..im waiting...:)

Yeah, been a little busy with work this past week so not really been able to get the photos sorted...definately in the next day or so (geez, sound like the builders!!)

Anyway, contrary to any hopes I had of the brickie back on the job after the bank holiday, he turned up Friday and has, so far, continued since.

We've had the the wood for the joists delivered...which is taking up the public footpath outside the house at the minute!! It's amazing how many people still want to use that 2 inch gap between the joists and the decreasing amount of car parking space we have at the minute...idiots!!

The other thing is that that the RSJ's for the windows haven't gone in yet on the ground floor rooms (inc. the HC). But it's becoming increasingly obvious the actual window size is growing and growing and looks like it will be the size of our existing front living room window. Okay, it will match the look of the original but I am getting a bit concerned that that particular wall is going to be all bloody window...I don't think this going to be good for a HC room on 3 counts - 1.Security 2. Sound leakage and 3. light for PJ :suicide:

I am really considering to have a word with the site manager to see if he can get it decreased, but I am thinking it's too late now the bricks have been built to the sides of the window space! It's not the builders fault and it is how it designed on the plans, but you really don't realise the size of these things 'till they're up!!
:thumbsdow

Has anyone got a large window in there Home Cinema room, and if so, how do you deal with sound leakage and light to the screen area?

Here's a layout of what I hope the Home Cinema will look like. It keeps getting updated but you get the general idea!! :)

Attachments

• HC-Specs-2.jpg
    HC-Specs-2.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 2,294
Built something on a smaller scale about 7 years ago, its dedicated to the world of AV (Wife would love it to be a dining room), had the walls isolated with acoustic plasterboard, the ceiling had dense rockwool put into it, and the glass.... I did a bit of investigation into this, i had to have double glazed units put into the room, so had different depths of glass made into the sealed double glazed units, was told that because they did not have the same thickness they would also have alternate frequencies. I had sliding patio doors put in between the room and the rest of the house for as much sound proofing as possible. It may sound odd but actually looks fine, and it really does work, you can be in the lounge (with the kitchen in between the loung and the HT room) and you can hear nothing unless you really crank up the volume and the bass on say the Omaha beach session of SPR.

Sounds really good stuff, have you any pictures or links of your HC room?

It's amazing how much information is actually on the plans of the build if you read between the tech babble. Anyway just seen that the spec for the windows is that it is K'glass with a minimum 16mm air gap between the double glaze. Anyone know if that's a good size for soundproofing?

Right, got the piccies sorted!

First off are the initial build of the walls then as they've got to window height, the scaffolding has gone up...

Attachments

• Front-1.jpg
    Front-1.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 683
  • Back-1.jpg
    Back-1.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 472
  • Top-Right.jpg
    Top-Right.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 489
  • Top-left.jpg
    Top-left.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 459
  • Front-4.jpg
    Front-4.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 479
  • Front-2.jpg
    Front-2.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 391
  • Front-3.jpg
    Front-3.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 390
  • Front-7.jpg
    Front-7.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 479
...and now we have the window lintels, and the joists for the first floor (you'll have to excuse the dark quality...got in late last night!)! I am hoping they will continue up today, but it's starting to rain...so I think I've had that!! :smashin:

Attachments

• Front-5.jpg
    Front-5.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 543
  • Inside.jpg
    Inside.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 888
  • Front-6.jpg
    Front-6.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 452
  • Back-2.jpg
    Back-2.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 460
  • Back-3.jpg
    Back-3.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 785
great job so far!

I look forward to more pictures as it comes around!

Looking good Les, think you'll have your gear in by Christmas?

John

There's a question...

I have asked the site manager and he thinks that it will all be done for Christmas...I am still holding my breath on that one.

The weather is turning a bit now, so I am counting the dry days at the minute...to be honest, it is getting me down a bit the way things are progressing at a snails pace. I have been told that the roof should be on in a couple of weeks, but if the rain persists... :(

As for the AV equipment...a new bed, carpets, laminate flooring and a new 3-piece suite is coming before I can think about the PJ!! I will be tinkering with the room while I am waiting though! :)

Les E said:
I will be tinkering with the room while I am waiting though! :)

You and both then! I'm going to try and sneek some work on the garage conversion in the new house while the rest gets done.

Went to see the new 50" Pioneer plasmas yesterday and the missus loved it so that's on it's way for the living room :thumbsup: Need to start looking at DLP projectors now...

John

it is getting me down a bit the way things are progressing at a snails pace

I went through these exact emotions when i was getting my cellar converted, the builders only liked to work from 8am til 2.30pm ish with umpteen 20 minute breaks in between + an hours lunch.

I just kept visioning the finished article though and kept looking forward to the lord of the ringsathon, it soon comes round and will be well worth it once it is done.

Inzaman, nice to hear I am not alone with the 'Limbo' feeling where the build is concerned...think I need to go away for a long weekend and not think about bricks, builders and Christmas!!:eek:

John, how does the 50" Plasmas compare nowadays? I was always to the opinion anything over 42" your gonna lose quality and definition...did you view broadcast and film quality compared to Finding Nemo/Attack of the Clones Hi-Def source trick alot of demo rooms play?

Sounds good stuff...I've given up looking now 'till I have something to put my equipment in...you can tell I am on a downer at the minute!!

However, the Manchester AV Show is coming up at the end of October so I think that will be my next time to view new stuff!!

I did recently view the Infocus Screenplay 7205 which I was very impressed with (watched A New Hope on it...it took me back 28 years!!) and is the next model up from the 5700. However I think by the time I get the PJ I will probably be able to afford the 7210! :smashin:

Didn't get a chance to see a Sky or Freeview pic on the 50" as the shop didn't have the facility but I'm going to make sure I get a look before I buy.

John

Brickie is back on the job today (after a 2 day no-show!), so I may have some new progressive pictures by mid-week!! The next milestone is to get to the 1st floor joists...then the roof will hopefully follow!

A view from the first floor from the landing window.

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 415
  • Middle.jpg
    Middle.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 393
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 398
More bricks going up...nearly at roof height!

I am expecting a visit from the Sparky this coming weekend so he will probably be wanting a stiff drink after I have finished with him!

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 412
  • Front-2.jpg
    Front-2.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 347
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 379
  • Left.jpg
    Left.jpg