Build of Home Cinema Room...

Les E

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My extension work has begun (at last - been waiting since February!) and the builders have started to dig out the footings.

So as a log of the building work and the development of my dedicated cinema room I will be posting photographs of the progression of the build.

To start I have photos of the before and current state of the non-existing driveway...it currently looks like a dig on Time Team and awaiting Tony Robinson and that cornish bloke to turn up at any moment... :smashin:

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,925
  • index-1.jpg
    index-1.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 1,366
  • index-2.jpg
    index-2.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 1,783
  • index-3.jpg
    index-3.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,879
The foundations are getting deeper & wider. We have had the structural designs for the steel raft approved and we are now awaiting concrete to go in the trenches.

Can't wait to see it going the other way with bricks!! Being very patient!

Attachments

• Ext-1.jpg
    Ext-1.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 1,051
  • Ext-2.jpg
    Ext-2.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 980
  • Ext-3.jpg
    Ext-3.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,185
Out of interest what have you been quoted for the building work?

It's around £27k + vat. That's for the build, but we are finding 'other' things that we want doing as well so that's pushing it up a bit.

We now have Polystyrene slabs with plastic covering prior to the cement and the steel raft going in (which should be this week).

I had taken these photos prior to the cement but the light was failing so they're a little dark...but you get the idea!!

Attachments

• Cov-1.jpg
    Cov-1.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 1,247
  • Cov-2.jpg
    Cov-2.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 1,197
Should be an interesting project to follow.
Just out of interest, are those rainwater or sewage/drainage pipes you are incorporating into the foundations? I have a sewage pipe running under, and along the length of a garden path, which will be murder to access if I ever have problems; having one running through foundations and a slab will be even more interesting, good luck!

Dave

Yeah, I was a bit concerned about that too. They are rainwater pipes, but since the photos were taken the pipes have been exposed due to the builders having to dig deeper & wider on the house side of the trench.

Mainly due to the steel raft support needing a deeper and wider insertion than conventional foundations. Don't really know why the archetect opted for this but rather than sending the steel back the easy option was to dig out.

The foundations seem to going on forever...and the concrete isn't in yet! Just want see some bricks and walls go up!! I'll keep you posted!

Bit of a new UPDATE!

Initially the footings had been dug out and the polysterene/polythene covering had been put within the trench and the slab area.

However these were created as a standard footings size dig, but the actual structual plans specified the trench nearest the house needed to go down deeper and wider to accomodate the steel raft going in. Something that became apparent when the Raft arrived.

So the the builders were back and digging out further on the right side. The trench eventually became 6ft in depth to accomodate the Raft.

So after 7 weeks of digging, the footings are complete with the Raft installed.

Now the cement has been put into the footings waiting for the first layer of bricks to go in for the damp course...oh, and we had a little visitor in the cement yesterday...bloody cats!!!

Attachments

• Raft-1.jpg
    Raft-1.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 944
  • Raft-2.jpg
    Raft-2.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 811
  • Raft-3.jpg
    Raft-3.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 661
  • Raft-4.jpg
    Raft-4.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 679
  • Raft-5.jpg
    Raft-5.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 708
  • Cement-1.jpg
    Cement-1.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 661
  • Cement-2.jpg
    Cement-2.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 682
  • Cement-3.jpg
    Cement-3.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 808
The damp course of bricks have now been built...

Attachments

• Damp.jpg
    Damp.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 797
  • Damp-3.jpg
    Damp-3.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 606
  • Damp-4.jpg
    Damp-4.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 846
...and the last of the concrete has been put in creating the slab!

The bricks have been delivered for the build along with loads of cement and sand so any day now we should be seeing walls!!!

Attachments

• Slab.jpg
    Slab.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,505
Yeah, wouldn't that be excellent if all that area was a HC room :smashin:!!

This end of the slab (photo taken from back garden) will be a new kitchen 11 x 10 ft. Then the HC room will be at the furthest point of around 11 x 8.5 ft.

I think it will look a bit smaller when the walls take a fair few inches off the rooms!! (Then again...) ;)

I'm in the process of buying a new house at the moment and the room I've got planned to be the home cinema is almost exactly the same size as yours is going to be - it'll be interesting to see your progress.

John

That will be interesting. Are you getting a PJ or Plasma for your room?

I am opting for the PJ side of things so I am trying to get the biggest picture possible.

However by the time I actually get the HC room up and running I will probably have to re-think things as the technologies will probably have advanced so much (The wife is adament that ALL the other rooms get furnished/finished first!! And with a 2-storey extension that is going to be serious amount of money and time!!) :nono:

Plan is to have a have a plasma (I was going to go for a 42" but wife says it has to be 50" :clap: ) and 2 channel sound in the living room.

Home cinema room will have a fixed screen and a PJ with 6.1 or 7.1 surround. I'm also going for a multi room audio system with in-ceiling speakers fed from a Sonos wireless system: http://www.simplysonos.co.uk/

Although again, like you, wife has said other rooms have to be done first so at the moment, I'm happy with demoing and buying the kit for day I can make a start.

John

I am going for a fixed screen too with a 6.1 input.

I already have the KEF sub/sat system so I am transferring that from the living room to HC , and I recently bought another single speaker for the mid rear.

The PJ I am aiming for is the Screenplay 5700 although I had a demo of the 7205 and it blew my socks off, but my budget wont stretch for that. However when I finally get around to buying the PJ it may off dropped (here's for dreaming!!) :thumbsup:

I am sticking with my Yamaha Receiver for the mo, although I do plan to upgrade at some point to one with both HDMI in/outputs.

Sky + will be going in there too and distributed throughout the house...just have Digital at the mo which is also distributed to the bedroom. And my PS2 will be connected via the PJ too, although I can't wait for the PS3 to hit as that has an HDMI out!!

Apart from a 4ft Mickey Mouse waiter, which is sitting in the sapre bedroom boxed, that's about it in HC...wife willing!!!!

Ohhh...leaning against an open door with that question!!

I think this will depend what size picture the 5700 throws onto my wall when it is up and running. I have been told that I can manage a 7ft screen in there, but other people have said the PJ wont throw that at the 11ft distance so I will have go for a 6ft option.

Sevenoaks Manchester seem to think I will be able to get the 7ft option, and as I will eventually be getting the PJ from them, then I am taking there word for it...for now!! As I said, I will have to see what it throws, then buy to fit!!

Are you getting your room sound proofed, if so how are going about it?

I am stressing to builder that this room really needs to be soundproofed with Rockwool and accoustic Plaster board.

The floor will be sealed with accoustic resin, then a layer of soundproofing mat will applied with metal duct tape. Then I am hoping to get accoustic underlay put down and then a layer of carpet. I was thinking of the the floating floor option, but it means a step into the room...and I don't think the wife will go for that! :nono: So this is the best option!!

I'm probably going to do the same with the screen - just use the wall to begin with until I'm happy with the size of the image and then get a screen.

As for the soundproofing, the cinema room is going into the existing garage so it'll need some soundproofing as the master bedroom is above and the stairs to one side. It is, however, detached from next door so no real worries there. I'm probably going to go for the rockwool and double plasterboard plan.

John

My biggest concern with soundproofing is with the window and the door into the room. The window will be double glazed but the door will have to match the rest of the house so I am pretty stuck with that!

No windows for me so at least I don't have to worry about black out blinds.

As for the door, it's going be a problem for me as well. The door is going to be in the hall opposite the door to the living room so the really need to be the same and my wife likes the idea of having glass in the doors so soundproofing that is going to be difficult...

John

Yeah well, I kinda put the 'no-window' idea to the missus but she thinks it will spoil the look of the extension at the front. I've got to admit she's probably right...but I have had a quick word with the builder to put a very small window in there! :smashin:

You could get a fire door, which I think do have glass in them, so would that kill 2 birds??

Had thought about a fire door but the ones I've seen tend to have the glass with the metal mesh in between the glass which isn't going to please the missus :rolleyes:

John

The brickie is in today and the walls are going up :clap: !! More pics shortly!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom