1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build my own sub sat pack?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by hermand, May 29, 2002.

1. hermand

hermand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've been looking at upgrading my speakers, and having read some threads here, some of the more senior members seem to suggest:

(i) All speakers should be identical in so far as they can be
    (ii) Floorstanders can be more tricky to place than smaller speakers.

I know there are many mid-range sub/sat packages out there (Kef egg etc), but I feel like I want 'proper' speakers, rather than lifestyle type accessories.

What I was thinking of getting for a 6.1 setup was 3 pairs of B&W 601s2 (Fronts, Centre, Surrounds, Rear Centre) and 1 or 2 Paradigm PDR-10 subs. (i.e. no overpriced dedicated centre)

Can anyone think why this might be a bad idea (I know the centre won't be magnetically shielded, I don't think that'll be a problem)

Also, should I set the crossover to be 80Hz?

(Yes I know I should demo it etc., I would just like a sanity check that I wouldn't be asking for something stupid)

Cheers

Herman

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +934
    Hi

Going for a setup like you´ve mentioned will outperform the likes of the Kef eggs etc

Identical speakers all round really is the way to. The only problem you´ll get is if the speaker you are going to use as a centre is too close to the tv, you need some space between them to avoid problems.

Setting the crossover at 80hz should work well for the speakers you´ve chosen.

And, you´re not asking for anything stupid either, quite the opposite in fact.:)

cheers

3. sparkybun

sparkybun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hermand,

Have you thought of the Kef Q1's. They seem to be getting a very good press at the moment (see Uncle Eric's thread). Apparently you can only buy them in Pairs though (ok if you've got 6.1 system).

Cheers