Build me up Buttercup

V1CAR

Hi everyone, I'm looking at building a new pc as mine is almost 100 years old now :mad: and struggles to even wake up. I've looked into this before but never went ahead with it.........this time it's going to be different. It may take me a few months to get the parts together as I'm not stacked with cash(and the Wife is still putting spending money away for the holiday, so it's even harder to pinch a bit) but I'm set on getting it done.

I've done the fist step and bought a..
'Fractal Design define mini' micro atx tower.

I've done a bit of research and here is what I think I want, I may be off the mark so I need guidance.

I was looking at buying a m-atx z97 or z87 mobo, i5cpu, 8gb ram all together deal from novatech or overclockers or whatever is recommended.

Graphics card I've not got a clue but I don't play games only watch movies and stream sport.

I want a Bluray drive only to play doesn't need to write to Bluray only dvd.
Thinking this....LG BH16NS40.AUAR10B 16x SATA Internal BD-RW Retail Kit: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Was looking at 1tb/2tb Seagate Barracuda hard drive.
Thinking this....Seagate Barracuda 3.5 inch 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB 6GB/S Internal SATA Drive: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

and an ssd 120gb again not sure what the best value options are.
Thinking this....Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5 inch Basic SATA Solid State Drive: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

psu again not sure what brand or what power.

Ideally I want a pc that is going to last a few years, run pretty snappy and be upgradeable whenever needed. Like I said I don't play games just Internet, movies, stream sport, Photoshop.

Would be very grateful for feedback and to be pointed in the right directions on different options.

Thanks for reading,
Cheers, V1CAR.

Last edited:

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I was looking at buying a m-atx z97 or z87 mobo, i5cpu, 8gb ram
I don't play games only watch movies and stream sport.

It seems a pretty high end setup for that if you're struggling to afford it, why not go for something more mid-range like Pentium or i3?

V1CAR

Cheers, EndlessWaves. I'd only be struggling to afford it all in one go at the moment, that why I've decided to get a bit at a time over a few months.
I wanted to try a build something half decent but if you think what I've listed is over kill I'm happy to listen to alternatives, I'm no expert.
I don't know if I've made the right choices but the mobo, cpu and ram was going to be the last thing I was going to buy.
What are your opinions on everything else? Graphics card mainly, do I need one? or just a low/mid range one. I don't play games just want to be able to stream 1080p movies and sport, I do a bit of photoshop for fun and internet.
Like I said I'm hoping not to have to upgrade it for a few years after but the option is there just incase.
Cheers, V1CAR.

V1CAR

What price did that come to can I ask?
Not sure what it's all going to cost as I've not really shopped around yet, just looked in a couple of places.

Got the case for £62
Blu ray £65
2tb hard drive £60
120gb ssd £56
psu not sure what I need so not got a price yet
not sure what graphics card so again no price yet
z87 or z97 mobo, i5 cpu, 8gb ram. around £300 I think.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I don't play games just want to be able to stream 1080p movies and sport, I do a bit of photoshop for fun and internet.

1080p video is ubiquitous these days, 4k decoding support is the latest thing and, as of the current generation, supported on all of Intel's integrated graphics AFAIK.

Photoshop can be more demanding but it sounds like you're not using much of it's capabilities so I don't think you need to spend the money on high end hardware for that either. Photoshop doesn't generally make much use of the graphics card so again, you probably don't need anything more than basic integrated graphics.

I can't comment on the blu-ray drive.

Hard drives don't differ much, that one is fine or the equivalent from western digital (blue I think).

The fractal design website doesn't actually list what type of power supply the cases uses, but assuming it's an ATX one then you're looking at £30-40 for a decent one. You don't need anything in the way of capacity, 300W is fine.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom