• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Build me a racing PC please

les05

Help me build a PC for racing please.

I love 3 screen racing and want more than Forza so I am looking for some help with building a racing pc. If I go for GT5 I will only have one game that's if it even supports 3 screens but if I build a racing pc I can have many different games so I think I have decided to build a PC. What would you recommend for the parts? I like the look of the coolermaster cosmos case and the V10 cooler but not sure if the cooler fits in the case and I have been looking at the eyefinity cards for ease of 3 screen gaming. I will probably go for an i7 950 but I need help with the rest. The budget is £1500, that's including the pc, keyboard, mouse and o/s with enough left over for a game or two. You can disregard my suggestions if you want but it's got to support 3 screens and look good.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Sega Mega Dave

Distinguished Member
Presume you already have the monitors?

les05

Not sure what I am looking for but how is this for starters?

untitled2.jpg

..El Nino..

Great system apart from one thing imo. The gfx card. I wouldn't touch AMD with a bargepole at the moment, drivers are awful and to consider using them for a multi monitor setup is just asking for trouble.

Can i suggest you dont need that spec of mobo, and opt for a mid range one such as what i have in the ASUS p6x58d-e, an excellent performer for nearly £150 cheaper.

If you can stretch then SLI Nvidia 470 gtx's will have you breezing through any new driving game for a couple of years at the very least.

dual 480's?? Perhaps a slightly cheaper PSU and windows 7 pro instead of ultimate, only gain really is bitlocker so if you dont use i, dont get ultimate.

CraigofScotland

Distinguished Member
Get an SSD in there for the op system. Really makes whole pc run faster. £100 budget for a good one.

les05

I picked the 6870 as it runs cooler and uses less power. This is important for me as my small gaming room gets very hot during the summer and I am worried about keeping the PC cool. I was also thinking about adding a second 6870 at a later date if required. Do you think 2 x 6870's will be good enough for a couple of years? Would a smaller PSU handle 2 GPU's

I thought the mobo would last a good few years and wanted something with good features and room for upgrading plus it does look pretty, I also looked at the ASUS Rampage Extreme. If I change the mobo and os I will have enought to add an SSD, do you think I will benefit more from having the ssd over the better mobo?

..El Nino..

do you think I will benefit more from having the ssd over the better mobo?

A resounding YES is the answer to that question.

What is the native resolution of your monitors les? Also what specific titles are you looking to play. In case you didnt know a 5870 is a better gpu than a 6870, dont be fooled by AMD's silly name game.

It's easy for me to suggest that one 6870 is not going to be powerful enough to drive three monitors at a decent resolution although i haven't tried it. Two gpu's would be a must for this kind of setup mate.

les05

I have 3 Dell P2310Hc monitors natve res 1920x1080. Not sure what titles but it will only ever be racing games. Looks like I will have to think a bit more about it. Change the mobo, add an SSD and look more into the GPU's. I do not want to go over my budget just now.

..El Nino..

scan.jpg

That would beat the system you posted in gaming benchmarks Les, simply due to the GPU's. Any reason why you'd want W7 ultimate over home premium? unless you use the extra features then it really is not worth it, its exactly the same. Aslo i wouldnt worry too much about heat with that case as it has excellent stock cooling, that extra fan is for the noisy stock fan that comes with the H50 water cooler. Don't forget to subtract the delivery cost from the total too.

Ask away.....

Chox1988

Distinguished Member
That looks like a hell of a system el nino.

Although if it gets that hot in the room its intended for and to limit noise would watercooling the whole thing not be a better idea.

GMC79

Distinguished Member
Looks like a great system les, better get one sorted before end of year as is the vat not going up? At that budget could end up bumping it up by 70-80 with the extra 5%.

Les would get on well with Nismo as he's a hardcore player too.
Had many a good Forza3 TT with les. :thumbsup:

Deadringers

Distinguished Member
Looks like a great system les, better get one sorted before end of year as is the vat not going up? At that budget could end up bumping it up by 70-80 with the extra 5%.

Les would get on well with Nismo as he's a hardcore player too.
Had many a good Forza3 TT with les. :thumbsup:

5%?

VAT is going up by 2.5% to 20% on the 4th January 2011 i thought?

GMC79

Distinguished Member
5%?

VAT is going up by 2.5% to 20% on the 4th January 2011 i thought?

Ah yeah sorry, 2.5%. Forgot that VAT was down at 15% a while ago...

Any half decent system will run the type of games that you want les. But agree with the others that Dual GPU's will be a must for 3 screens without a doubt.

Could even half the budget and go 2nd hand older parts with still 2gpu's, few racer/sims are very taxing. Christ my Acer Ferrari One netbook will Run rfactor and GTR2 at ok frames @ native res. :laugh:

Good to have that sorta budge tho, wish i did back when got rig.

Last edited:

les05

Having read many reviews and comparisons I think I have decided to stay with the 6870 over the 470 unless you can convince me otherwise. The cards are almost equal performance when stock, the 6870 uses less power and runs cooler. The other advantage from me is the displayport. It will mean I don't have to change over all the cables between the xbox's and the PC. This is a big advantage for me as I don't have much room behind the monitors. Would it not be safe to say the drivers for the 6870 can only get better and the 470 is probably as good as it's going to get?

What would be the minimum size for a SSD for the os, is 60GB enough. Do I use it for the os only and put the games on another drive or will the games run better if they are on the SSD, looking at the prices of the SSD's I wont want to go too large.

I have read that the H50 is not really for the i7 and a H70 would be better(is this true) but is it really better than a good air cooler? I only picked the V10 as it looked good and I know there are better coolers out there. I also considered the Noctua NH-D14 but it looks ugly with the cream & brown fans. Would it make much of a difference to the temps if I ever plan to overclock using the H50/H70 over an air cooler. The noise doesn't bother me as I am used to 3 xbox's running in the room and normally have the speakers cranked up.

Is that mobo as future proof as the Rampage or EVGA? I don't really need W7 ultimate and can go for prem to save a few £'s

I hope to have all this ordered before the end of the year to avoid the vat increase. Is there anything that is due to be release soon that would be worth the wait?

How do I get free delivery????

Thanks for all the help

GMC79

Distinguished Member
Having read many reviews and comparisons I think I have decided to stay with the 6870 over the 470 unless you can convince me otherwise. The cards are almost equal performance when stock, the 6870 uses less power and runs cooler. The other advantage from me is the displayport. It will mean I don't have to change over all the cables between the xbox's and the PC. This is a big advantage for me as I don't have much room behind the monitors. Would it not be safe to say the drivers for the 6870 can only get better and the 470 is probably as good as it's going to get?

What would be the minimum size for a SSD for the os, is 60GB enough. Do I use it for the os only and put the games on another drive or will the games run better if they are on the SSD, looking at the prices of the SSD's I wont want to go too large.

Thanks for all the help

Depends on budget obviously a 500gb ssd out the sensible price range of most, even Razor it seems..:)

60-64gb is fine, and can say very rapid start up etc i just got one last week and after restoring my norm OS and programs have 23gb left from 64 (60 after format).. If can afford big ssd then by all means, games must be uber quick. However not really necessary, Have other hdd to install to as norm.

The 6870 use very low power and be ample for anything you want to run for likely a long time, so unless convinced otherwise go for it.

Link here for free delivery, used it myself.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/computer-systems/633727-free-delivery-scan-forum-members.html

..El Nino..

The other advantage from me is the displayport. It will mean I don't have to change over all the cables between the xbox's and the PC.

Surely you dont connect the xbox's using DVI? do you mean you already have display port cables in place?

Would it not be safe to say the drivers for the 6870 can only get better and the 470 is probably as good as it's going to get?

Well, no not really, Nvidia constantly improve performance pretty much every time there is a new release whereas AMD haven't been able to get a stable driver for a long time, silly things such as cannot use the setting in catalyst control panel and Anti aliasing not working properly (big problem that one) AMD users feel free to put me straight...:smashin:

What would be the minimum size for a SSD for the os, is 60GB enough

Thats plenty enough for the os + a few games, theres no problem with installing all your games on the 1tb drive though, it will still be bloomin fast

Is that mobo as future proof as the Rampage or EVGA?

Yes absolutley, they use the exact same chipset, Has USB3 too

I have read that the H50 is not really for the i7 and a H70 would be better(is this true) but is it really better than a good air cooler?

Not true at all, I have the H70 and its quality, i only put the H50 in there for cost saving at first but go with the 70. They are both as good as the best air coolers if not better, the reason i recommended a corsair is because its closed loop so temps aren't really affected by ambient temps and you say you are in a small room which gets quite hot? Even the best air coolers are compromised somewhat by ambient temps and you'll wanna overclock that 950 for sure

AVForums.com - SCAN & AVForums loyalty programme

Finally, i'm not going to try and talk you out of 6870's, they are excellent gpu's but personally the drivers just put me off and cannot match an OC'ed 470, if they ru hot you still have over £100 for custom coolers check this thread out http://www.avforums.com/forums/pc-gaming/1347276-zalman-vf3000f.html. Perhaps others reading this can give their own testimony going from AMD to Nvidia or vice versa. Also, running 3 xbox's and three monitors, surround sound et al surely you cannot be worried about power usage:devil:

GMC79

Distinguished Member
T
*Surely you dont connect the xbox's using DVI? do you mean you already have display port cables in place?

**Well, no not really, Nvidia constantly improve performance pretty much every time there is a new release whereas AMD haven't been able to get a stable driver for a long time, silly things such as cannot use the setting in catalyst control panel and Anti aliasing not working properly (big problem that one) AMD users feel free to put me straight...:smashin:

*** Finally, i'm not going to try and talk you out of 6870's, they are excellent gpu's but personally the drivers just put me off and cannot match an OC'ed 470, if they ru hot you still have over £100 for custom coolers check this thread out http://www.avforums.com/forums/pc-gaming/1347276-zalman-vf3000f.html. Perhaps others reading this can give their own testimony going from AMD to Nvidia or vice versa. Also, running 3 xbox's and three monitors, surround sound et al surely you cannot be worried about power usage:devil:[/

* - DVI very good anyway, on my Monitor, better than HDMI, by far.

** - Your right don't work when set in catalyst is annoying in the odd game that dont have AA options (rare so barely an issue)
Once he sets up his system and install drivers there's gonna be little point in ever changing them. I never did with my 4870, once mayb just to try doing it.
Will be going nvidia nxt time as a change tho.

*** - For the games he's gonna play (just racers/sims) OC'd performance not gonna matter both More than enuf.

Yeah bill must be large. :laugh:

..El Nino..

Agreed GMC, i prefer DVI over HDMI too only reason i asked about DVI is because Les said he doesn't need to change over the cables if he uses Displayport, so i wondered why he wouldn't just use the DVI ports for connecting the Nvidia cards?

Les make sure you look at becnchmarks for crossfire scaling over three monitors ;)

GMC79

Distinguished Member
HDMI sucks with PC on my monitor, as it did with my TV before went to DVI-VGA. Must be a PC thing Other devices are great tried other stuff on monitor but hdmi with PC is just **** at 1080p. DVI ultra crisp just lovely. Odd.

Get ordering the stuff les :D, whateva GPU's you pick will be tremendous regardless.

Although in all honesty, extra AA in some of the Sims would be nice at times so therefore 470's would be the better choice. Tho extra cost.

les05

Shows how much I know, I thought the DP was only on the eyefinity cards and not the nvidia cards, doh!.
I'm really stuck on what do I go for now. I was telling myself that I needed the 6870 for less power, heat and DP but if I can connect everything up without having to change cables then the power issue seems dissipate somewhat and I'm now considering the 470 as a viable option. With very little between them in price it now comes down to performance.

If I never OC what cards will be better for me considering I will probably only ever play racing games..

GMC79

Distinguished Member
Shows how much I know, I thought the DP was only on the eyefinity cards and not the nvidia cards, doh!.
I'm really stuck on what do I go for now. I was telling myself that I needed the 6870 for less power, heat and DP but if I can connect everything up without having to change cables then the power issue seems dissipate somewhat and I'm now considering the 470 as a viable option. With very little between them in price it now comes down to performance.

If I never OC what cards will be better for me considering I will probably only ever play racing games..

Still either, would be more than enuf. Most games of this type especially the main sims run easily even on older stuff. My 4870 ran all the sims 1080p/AA 60fps easily. 6870's or 470's wont even sweat.

Take your pick. :thumbsup:

GTX 470 SLi vs. Radeon 6870 Crossfire - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

Chox1988

Distinguished Member
Performance wise they are pretty similar but nvidia's driver and support is just so much better, imo it's a no brainer but then both will do the job

Houghsx

Distinguished Member
Personaly I would wait if you can?. There are a few new cards on the horizon to consider from both camps. Also, drivers are not perfect on either side but I would say nvidia has the edge but AMD aren't total rubbish either.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom