Build me a PC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by zerodegrees, Jan 21, 2008.

1. zerodegrees

zerodegrees
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, ive been compliling pc components over at scan it for a few days now, but figured there are a lot of smart cookies in here who's opinion i value and figured you may be able to steer me in a better direction than im going in

basically im looking to upgrade my current PC spec (which is about 5yrs old now, something like a 1.8ghz cpu and 1gb memory)

i need to be able to work with photoshop and some 3d modelling software, as well as work on music production also...

bearing this in mind the things i absolutely must have in the spec is:

1) M-Audiophile 2496 soundcard
    2) (A decent gfx card, im open to suggestions)

I am also a little bit torn on whether to go for a Core 2 Duo (E6750) or the Core 2 Quad (Q6600) CPU (though to be honest, im leaning towards the quad after what ive heard so far from other forums)

other than that, i am completely open to suggestions on the Motherboard, Hard Drive, Memory, Cooling Fans and PSU

Im especially interested in how much RAM you guys and girls think will be enough

i will be using the same CD/DVD drive i already have, aswell as the PC Case i already have (ATX), though I will be looking to get a copy of Vista Premium 64bit so as to support more RAM (though again im open to advice on this if people think I dont neccesarily need 4gb of memory)

in a perfect world id be looking to spend around £400-£500

any help or advice whatsoever would be most appreciated!

thanks a lot

Ben

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    The new Penryn CPU's are due very soon (if they are not already out). I would go for a E8400 as that won't be too much more than the E6750.

You've said you want a decent graphics card but haven't given a guideline price. You could go for the HD 3850 (which clocks close to 3870 speeds) or get the best bang for buck card in the 8800GT although that will set you back around £160.

3. KHA2005

KHA2005
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Would this be including a monitor or not? I'm going to assume it isn't and proceed as normal:

Whether you need to replace your PSU depends on its quality, but I'd have a guess that you do considering the age of your system. Tbh, I've never seen the difference between PSU's with Ebuyer Gold Value 500W costing £20 working great from day 1.

I you're building on a budget, then I would get the cheapest Mobo you can lay your hands on really, in my experiance they tend to be pretty much the same unless you need special features such as SLI or WiFi.

Example: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=605521

This should do the job, supports all new processors including 1333 FSB, what more can you ask?

£58

As for the CPU, the Q6600 does seem to be the perfect CPU at the moment for price:performace ratio, and the four cores will get more useful as programs become more optimized.

£156 atm on scan for version without HSF - OEM (get a Arctic Cooler Pro MUCH better than Intel stock fan)

Im not sure much more than 3 Gb (32 bit limit) will be needed for quite some time, so keeping your XP 32 bit (I assume you have disc) until 4 Gb is necessary seems like a wise choice. If you must have Vista now go for the 64-bit version, just in case. Personally 2Gb of RAM is more than enough atm for me.

As for the graphics card, this depends on whether you'll be gaming much or not. If so, then a 256Mb version of the 8800GT might be a good choice, or an ATI 3850 Pro for your price point. If not then any old cheap card will do... eg ATI HD2400 or the like. This depends on how much you game.

As for the hard drive, well, a hard drive is pretty much a hard drive, unless its in a RAID 0 array or is something ridiculously expensive like the WD Raptors.

Good luck with your new build, hope I've been able to help :D

EDIT: As for the new 45nm CPUs, I still think having Quad Core will be more helpful in the end, and the new quad cores look good if your budget could stretch to it:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=743028

4. music

music

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I've been following all the threads on building my own computer etc. for a while.... I am working up to it!!:rolleyes:

But one question just arose for me out of the last post. Surely if you build a new PC you can't use XP because doesn't it fail to work if too many components change in the PC (i.e. you can't validate it or whatever the procedure is?).

I thought XP was only licensed for one PC and validates itself by checking the PC hardware so if you change the mobo and stuff it too much you can't reuse it (or something like that).

Sorry to go a bit off topic, but obvioulsy if you have to buy a new OS it adds significantly to the cost???

M

5. zerodegrees

zerodegrees
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the replies so far.

to answer a few queries:

1)Would this be including a monitor or not? I'm going to assume it isn't and proceed as normal

you're right, no monitor or other peripherals required.

2) so keeping your XP 32 bit (I assume you have disc) until 4 Gb is necessary seems like a wise choice

unfortunately my pc is currently running win2000! and ive lost the disc so i will be buying a new OS...looking at prices on scan i guess vista 64bit is the one to go for

3) As for the graphics card, this depends on whether you'll be gaming much or not

not gaming as such, but graphics intensive stuff like i say, 3D modelling and photoshop work etc.

and the "off topic" question :D which i may be able to answer

4) I thought XP was only licensed for one PC and validates itself by checking the PC hardware so if you change the mobo and stuff it too much you can't reuse it (or something like that).

As far as i understand, you can call microsoft and explain what you are doing and it is not a problem, HOWEVER, i think (though not 100% sure) that you can only do this once. Best bet is to call them and ask their advice.

i'll post up the spec i have got so far from scan it when i get the chance

cheers again for the help

Ben

6. KHA2005

KHA2005
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have built many PC's that have worked by using an existing XP install disc, then using the key from another computer you already own. Although technically not allowed, once you phone them up saying your mobo broke (or some other similar excuse) they will activate over the phone. :thumbsup:

Basically Microsoft aren't too bothered it seems about small scale piracy, and sometimes you dont even need to phone to activate. However, its a risk and once not worth taking imo if you want your build to go smoothly!