1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build HCPC pver prog scan DVD player?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by jtorry, Dec 28, 2002.

1. jtorry

jtorry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have read a fair few topics on this forum, yet i am still unsure as to get a new DVD player with pal/NTSC prog scan or to build a HCPC. I am going to be using a Sanyo PLV-Z1 projector and want the best picture quality i can get. I would be spending about £350 on a DVD player so would i be better off with a HCPC? Thanks for your help.

2. andybryant

andybryant
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I can tell, if you can stand spending a little more than £350 on a HTPC, and don't have to account for WAF, then the best system is a HTPC.

You can do away with scalers, line doublers, trying to find a progressive o/p PAL decoder to do 625p (impossible?), and just do it all in software.

You can get the bonus of a PVR, CD (MP3) jukebox, and digital picture viewer as well on the same system.

At least, I think this is the case. I've started with a HTPC before buying the hi-res screen, and am now considering a plasma. I'm trying to decide on a standard definition one (852x480), or a high def model (1024x768). I think the former is best for NTSC progressive discs, but that neither is ideal for PAL progressive - and that some scaling will always be required for us PAL viewers. I'm tending towards the decision that the best option at the moment is a HTPC with the highest res display I can afford.

A.