1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buggered up my laptop no more movies Help!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by JPB, Jul 30, 2003.

1. JPB

JPB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there I have a sony vaio PCG F 403 lap top which I plug into my PJ, however I´ve tinkered with it somehow and seem to have lost all resolution (really blocky) as well as the sound and the modem won´t connect does anyone have any ideas how to get them back. I´ve tried loads of sites for drivers with no luck but to be honest I´m not really sure what to do next. I miss having movies oin the go as I´m away so much. Please please can someone help.

Cheers

jason

2. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Are you running Windows XP?

If you are you could try to use the system restore feature to return it to a previous state. I've used it a few times after accidentally downloading those annoying internet "impossible to remove" toolbars. It's always worked ok for me...

Alternatively maybe you should check the drivers for modem/graphics card etc. to see if there's any updates. You may find that updating will solve the problem?

K.

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm really blocky- sounds like the desktop is running in 16 bit mode. Change it to 32 bit.

Dunno why modem not working now..try and find the make/model and reinstall drivers for it. You haven't disabled Telnet & Telephony have you? (these are required for dial-up)

What movies are you playing? DVD, or other types?

Need to give more info...

4. JPB

JPB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I´m currently running 98 Although in the next week or so will get hold of XP. I tried changing the resolution but it wont allow me to go any higher than 480 which sucks. Do you think that by changing to XP it will solve all my problem. I had been using power dvd as a player. Is there a disk that I can get hold of with all the sony drivers ect... I know one came with the PC but as a fool I´ve lost it. That might be a solution if nothing else works but where would I get another one? Thanks for all your help guys I ´m sure that we can get it sorted as all I can do is play bloody solitaire at the moment!!!!!!

5. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi All,

JPB:
    Have you tried reinstalling the video driver ?? Usually having your PC fixed in 640x480 16 colours mode, indicates windows has lost your video driver ??

It's worth a try, it's got me out of a pickle when i've had this problem.

Cheers

Cosmic023

6. JPB

JPB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That might work if only I knew where to get one!!!I have tried loads of sites with no luck any ideas

Cheers

Jason

7. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
  8. JPB

JPB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers chaps will try those sites. Do you think by installing XP it would solve the problems as I´m getting a copy in the next couple of weeks?

9. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi JPB,

Well XP should be able to find your video driver in it's database 9 times out of 10, but there's always a chance it isn't there so you'll have to load a seperate driver off a cd or floppy ??

Good Luck

Cosmic023

10. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    If you format from scratch, the re-install windows XP, there is a very high chance that your graphics will start working again.

If you upgrade from 98, then I'm not sure, as XP might keep the same drivers. However, since its a new OS that requires many new drivers it may upgrade them as it goes along with its install.

Worth a try - plus XP is great.

11. JPB

JPB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks so much I should have xp in the next week or so as I´ll living in Lanzarote and getting hold of xp is a nightmare here!!! So I´m getting a copy flown outWhen I´ve installed it I´ll let you guys know how I get on. Had a bit of trouble downloading the drivers as the cyber cafe near me won´t allow me to put a disk in to copy anything, but if xp will sort out the modem driver I can then download everything from the net using those sites!!!

Thanks so much for all your time and effort You guys have been a real help as my spanish isn´t great and trying to explain this has been impossible here. One thing I have found out though and I don´t know if it would be of any help but getting a projector off e-bay USA is bloody cheap just got an NEC VT45 brand new for under $400.00, and a pal to ntsc convetor as well as a pro V for under 500 quid inc P+P. Good way to get into big screen viewing.

Cheers

jason