Bugatti Veryon

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by Layne RIP, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Layne RIP

Layne RIP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I was reading an article about this £800,000 odd monster today.
    8 litre w16 engine
    1000bhp @ 6000rpm
    922 lb ft @ 2200rpm
    1,950 kg
    0-62mph in 2.5
    0-122mph in 7.3
    Top Speed... 253mph

At maximum power, the engine is consuming 45,000 liters of air per minute.
    At maximum power, the engine is burning 1.33 gallons of gasoline per minute.

Those are impressive stats in anyone's books...

The thing that made me laugh was that these cars have a special key separate to the ignition one... this key deactivates the speed limiter, to give you access to the 253mph... the only thing is that it's only capped off at 220mph... What's the point?

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Simply because they can & ultimately they will make money, if not from the sale of this machine but from the technology it will pass on through the owning companies lesser brands.

All ths while this model actually showcases the talent, even if it is totally useless/pointless on UK roads.

3. Layne RIP

Layne RIP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    No i ment what's the point of limiting the top speed.. especially by such a small amount, it hardly seems worth it.

4. Jaffatubes

Jaffatubes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    It's a safety thing.

In order to hit 253mph, the rear wing which is normally deployed to aid stability by giving extra downforce is de activated. Otherwise thre is too much downforce for even the 1000bhp Veyron to overcome to crack 250mph.

This may make the car faster, but unless you are very careful about where, when and who drives it, it could end in a very expensive accident.

The key syste, is there in order to make it a concious decision by the driver to drive less safely, but faster. In other words, bugatti are covering their collective backsides, in case of an accident.

It is also a very good marketing gimmick, talking point, which boosts exclusivity. Either way, 220mph is normally enough for anybody!!

Fantastic piece of automotive machinery though! Thumbs up for having the balls to build it VW. :smashin:

5. johnny70

johnny70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    link to some spec's and some great pic's

Bugatti

6. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +534
    Quite an interesting piece in this months edition of Top Gear magazine which has the comments from Gordon Murray (he of the MacLaren F1) about it.

Interestingly he says the car is more suited to the track than the road - in that it doesn't ride well enough for road use, but handles superbly well on the race track. Oh... and that it didn't feel all that fast. Turbo Lag I believe.

For my own opinion I think I would rather have a MacLaren F1, or possibly a Pagani Zonda (should I ever win the double rollover lottery). But I wouldn't kick it out of bed.

But as a showcase for VW group's technology it is a stunning achievement. No doubt the spin offs from this will filter down to humbler Golf's and Passats.

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,672
    Interesting....especially if it's down to turbo lag,which isn't actually all that difficult to work round,either by using smaller variable geometry turbos,or including things like ALS(anti-lag),which whilst requiring rather more costly turbos,shouldnt have been a problem with that sort of price tag.

8. Layne RIP

Layne RIP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Lag can also be down the length and route that the forced air takes... if it has to go a long way i.e through intercoolers mounted too far from the turbos (was a problem when fitting front mounted intercoolers to MR2's) you will get lag.
    But i don't think the lag could be that bad.... and as a piece of engineering it's superb.
    I'm thinking of starting the "buy layne a Veryon charity"... the only trouble is if that worked, i'd have to set up the "Give layne enough money to run it foundation"... :D

9. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not so sure it is an impressive achievement. It's virtually unusable on the road (does anyone seriously think they can use 1000 bhp on a public road?) and is just a symbol of excess.

I really don't see the point of it: it's vulgar, cynical and not even all that clever.

10. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Now im a biker and not normaly excited or even interested in cars but that just gave me a stiffey. :rotfl:

11. Layne RIP

Layne RIP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well i take your point it is a bit of a laughable figure for a car to have as "legally you could never use it properly" on the road, plus you could if you wanted get the same out of a Nissan Skyline or Toyota supra if you were willing to sink around £100,000 in to them, which would save you around £700,000 if you just wanted a car with that sort of power.

But Bugatti's have always had such a sense of occasion about them.. and this one is no different from what i can see, it's fan-bloody-tastic.. plus i think to appreciate it you have to be a bit of a petrolhead... :D

12. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +534
    If you look at it as a practical proposition it most cerainly is pointless... a bit like going to the moon or climbing Mount Everest.

But its one of those challenges that great designers and engineers are willing to take up. Who cares if it does 4mpg, is wider than Dawn French and is chintzier than a French bedroom. It's been built... and that's enough for me.

I wonder if anyone who buys one will actually drive it. Be lovely to see one on the road, and the noise alone should be priceless.

And if you take it to Germany you'll be able to max it a few places no problem.

13. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    It is over the top, of that I think we can all agree! But, without companies/people pushing the boundaries we would have a very stagnant level of technology and art. Just look at the crap these fashion models wave around a runway for ten gazillion dollars! :rotfl:

Things like this always influence/affect stuff we everyday folke use. :thumbsup:

14. chrisowe

chrisowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    In an article in EVO magazine it says that if a fully wound up Mclaren F1 went past a poised stationary Veyron at 100mph and the Veyron driver gave it the gun as the F1 passed the Bugatti would still reach 200mph just before the Mclaren would.
    Now that is seriously quick !! :cool: :) :eek:

15. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,672
    Given that the power/weight ratios of the Mclaren and Bugatti are very similar,but the Bugatti has rather more torque,it should certainly beat it to 200mph and be much quicker after that,but beating it from a standing start with a 100mph start for the F1?....one assumes they actually tried this rather than just making their usual slightly hyperbolic claims....one also needs to remember the Bugatti has 4 wheel drive,which is always handy for traction and acceleration.

This isn't to do down the achievements of VW at all,as the thing is as excellent a car as it's predecessor was,and exceeds it in many areas,but it will never do what the F1 did in going to Le Mans essentially in very similar spec to road trim,and winning.

16. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,301
    but will I be able to drive it in Project Gotham 3?

17. shedtastic

shedtastic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Apparently they (VW) spent ages (as in months and months) developing wipers that worked at over 200mph (it's pretty tricky to get them to motor back down against 240mph wind!) before somebody just pointed out - "who in their right mind will be doing 230mph in the rain??!"

Yes, it's completely pointless, and I personally doubt that much of the science behind it will ever filter down into the next Polo, but multi-billionaires need something to spend their money on and at the end of the day it's kept rafts of engineers all over the globe gainfully employed..

(Mind you, it's not as pointless as the matching wrist-watch..)

18. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ultimately, it's horribly compromised. For £800k, I'd buy a track car, a drag racer, a luxury barge, and probably a light aircraft. Is it really necessary to combine all these into one, particularly when it probably won't be used for any of them?

On top of that, it's as ugly as sin. Take off the grille, and it looks like an Audi. Bugattis were always beautiful: this looks like a badge-engineered bar of soap.

19. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't aircraft have wipers? And GT cars?

20. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Its a status symbol, no more, no less.

Just like some of those really ugly Rolex's people buy that cost many thousands or the Vertu phones that functionaly are crap but cost up to 20grand!

Lets not read too much in to it and just take it for what it is. :thumbsup:

21. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only bit that really impresses me is the gearbox. Ricardo (I think) designed it: producing a reliable box that can handle 1000bhp and 4wd is very impressive. Transmissions have been a limiting factor in so many cars: it's relatively easy to produce vast power outputs, but transmitting that power is another matter.

22. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Clarkson wrote an entertaining piece in the Sunday Times Driving supplement (available to read online on the times website).
    He loved it, in a drag race 0-200 mph against a Mclaren F1, the bugatti can let the Mclaren reach 120 mph before setting off and still beat it to 200 !! :eek:

23. markymark34

markymark34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    it is an amazing car. if you pay it off over 4 years it works out a pathetic £17,000 a month!

I can spare a £10 so if we all club together.....

24. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Including interest?

Damn! We can do that easy ... club me in for another tenner :thumbsup: Come on people, we only need a couple more....

Can I get learner insurance on that? I have a long clean bike license if that helps :confused:

25. markymark34

markymark34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    oops forgot about interest.

whats an extra couple of grand!

26. booyaka

booyaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,752
    On Top Gear next week (11th Dec @ 8pm) i believe.

Clarkson is driving it across europe in one of their monster challenges!

27. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,177
    Aye saw that piece at the end of Top Gear last night.

Should be fun :thumbsup:

28. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Top is the best thing on tv at the moment,even my friends who have no interest in cars watch it.Next weeks will be great im sure.

29. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +534
    So true. It's possibly the funniest show on TV at the moment - save the simpsons. My wife even watches it now and she used to HATE it with a passion.

The 3 supercars for under £10K was just brilliant TV. Bang goes my dreams of a cheap Ferrari.

They just have to be careful the formula doesn't get stretched too thin. How many times can you race a mountain bike/climber/moped/marathon runner against a car, blow up a caravan, do a car vs space shuttle race etc.

I'm thoroughly enjoying this series. Let's just hope they can keep the standards high and creative.

30. ransoman

ransoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why does the BBC hate top gear though. One of the highest rated shows and it is still stuck on bbc2, no priority at all when it comes to special events (it gets postponed every other week) and this series is only 6 shows long!!!

Whats worse is that they are not even showing repeates on monday night so if i miss it on sunday and i couldn't record it i am stuck. Only hope is UKTV people but you never know what episode is going to be shown and they cut 50% of it so they can fit in the worlds longest advert breaks in it.

Are the bbc deliberatly trying to force people to miss it so they can cancell it because "the viewing figures are down" just because Clarkson "doesn't agree" with their Tree Hugging, OH_So politically correct attitude.

Top gear is the "only" good Car show on. 5th gear is boring and the new one "pulling power" is a load of boring old trash, How can they make a 501bhp bmw m5 feature put you to sleep.

Rant over, for now.