Bug-ridden Nokia 221T

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Origin, Jul 11, 2003.

1. Origin

Origin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my Nokia 221T for a few months now, and the software bugs are beginning to annoy me. It came already installed with the latest 1.1.2 software, but regularly suffers these bugs:

1) Jumping Out Of Favourites List:
    I have created my own favourites list called "MainTV", which contains just the channels I want to watch. Say I am watching BBC1, which is #1 in MainTV. I press the TEXT button to switch to the text service and view some pages. When I press CANCEL to get out of text, and try to change channel, I find that the box has switched back to using the default "All TV" list. I have to bring up the menus to go back to my MainTV list. This happens after any text service has been watched. Why does the 221T jump out of the selected favourites list?

2) No TV Picture-in-Picture When First Using Text:
    When first switching to BBC text, the TV picture does not appear in the top right hand corner - just a black rectangle (audio can be heard though). The next time that text is used, the picture appears as it's supposed to. Why doesn't it work first time?

3) Spurious Operation of AV Switching Signal:
    A few seconds after switching off the box, it unnecessarily operates its SCART switching signal again. For example, say I've just turned off the 221T. My TV detects the AV1 signal has gone and switches back out of AV mode, just as it should. A few seconds later... BLAM!...one of the LEDs on the 221T flashes red briefly, and the TV quickly switches back to AV1 then immediately back out again. If I'm already programming the VCR (on AV2) by this time it's really annoying, because when the TV switches back it's not displaying AV2 any longer! Why does the 221T send this annoying glitch signal? It must be a real nuisance on more complex AV setups.

4) Miscellaneous Crashes:
    Just using the box in the usual way, and it often locks up for no apparent reason. The only way to get it back is to delve round the back and pull out the mains lead (the front panel on/off switch doesn't work when its crashed). Does Nokia think that bug-ridden products are acceptable?

Frankly, this box is a real pain to use! I hope someone from Nokia reads this, because they conveniently don't provide any email address on their 221T website for customers to report bugs...

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I have the older Nokia 9850T, tried a couple of 221T s , swapped them for Panasonic TU-CT20 s instead.
    Most seem to like the 221T , I suspect dealers are keen to have the extra £30 or £40 too.

3. Nello

Nello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Origin, I've got the same box as you and I also get annoyed by some of these things.

I can live with it switching out of my own menus after I've used text (maybe you need the BBCi channel in you 'own' list?), but it does suffer from a lot of crashes for no apparent reason which are getting on my nerves.

Even just coming out of the Navigation menu can cause all sound to stop, and only switching off the box at the wall can bring it back.

This being my first try with a freeview box, I just put these crashes down to a poor signal but I don't actually think my signal is that poor.

I suppose I have to wait for a software upgrade? or don't these kind things appear very often?

4. Origin

Origin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad I'm not alone (sort of!). I was beginning to think I had a duff box. Last night I was hopping thru the channels with the P+ button on the remote when... crash. No response. Off at the wall again...

If any of the moderators/users of this forum have email contacts in Nokia, please can they suggest someone at Nokia reads this thread?

I'm damned if I'm going to hang on a "customer service" phoneline while someone pretends they're interested in the bugs and then does nothing about it (I know how big company "customer service" departments usually work!).