bug in pana tx36pl30 ? - purple patch when swop txt & tv

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by sbha, Apr 15, 2002.

1. sbha

sbha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all..

Just got this telly last week.

so far, only on one day, when pressing text, then back to telly, I had a purple patch covering the bottom third of the screen.

when the tv was put in stand-by mode, and back on all was fine, until the text button was pressed again.

Anyone encountered this before ??

today, all seems fine.

Thanks..

Sbha

2. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +521
    It's a purity error. Do you have speakers next to the set? If so move them further away, turn the set off for a few minutes and then when it turns on listen for the "Zing" noise, which is the degausing circuit. If it's still there, you may have got a faulty set.
    My first 36PF10 had a purity fault like this that wouldn't go, and I think it had been bumped during transit probably damaging the shadow mask.

3. sbha

sbha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello norman..

many thanks for the feedback.

I did not have any speakers near the tv, and the problem appears to bea one-off, over the last couple of days all has been fine.

May I ask what is a ourity error ?

also what is a degausing circuit ?? / shadow mask ?

Thank u..

sbha

4. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +521
    A purity error is caused when the electron beam in the CRT doesn't "land" where it should on the tube.
    CRT's are effected by magnetic sources like speakers or the Earth's own magnetic core (try moving your set 90 degrees when its switched on to see this effect - not easy with a 36") and the larger the CRT the greater the problem.
    The degausing circuit is used to "sweep" the tube (for want of a better word) and remove any magnetic traces from the tube at turn on.
    You may still see slight purity faults on your tube (mainly at the corners) but they should dissapear soon providing you son't keep moving the set or place any magnetic sources too close to it.

BTW, the best way to see purity faults is to display a pure RED picture on the screen, perhaps by pausing a DVD title or better still by using a signal generator.

5. sbha

sbha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I spoke too soon when i said all was well...

wife just called to say that some colour distortion occurred again, this time withouyt any text key being pressed on the remote.

Hmmm ?? time to call out an engineer i guess..