1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buffy

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Chandler, Oct 25, 2001.

1. Chandler

Chandler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I like Buffy (although not a major fan) as I like the sharp on-liners, action scenes and Sarah Michelle Gellar and Charisma Carpenter aren't bad either!

I am thinking of buying the series but I am not sure if it holds up to many repeat viewings - what do you think?

Where is the cheapest place to buy the buffy dvd box sets, what series are we on and are they in 4.3 on the dvds?

What series are they on in USA or Sky as if it will take forever to collect all the series is it worth it as new technology will prob be in place before you collect all the simpsons dvds!

Replies appreciated.

2. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think series 3,4 and 5 hold up well for repeat viewings. 1 & 2 less so. (this is my opinion of course but i still bought 1 & 2)

Series 1 to 3 were filmed in 4:3 whilst 4 onwards was in widescreen. Series 1 & 2 are out already whilst series 3 is out on the 29th October.

Series one is £39.99, series 2 & 3 £79.99. You should be able to get series one for about £33 and series three for about £60. Series 2 i got for £39.99 but you will have a hard time finding someone that has got series 2, let alone a cheap price. It is no longer in manufacture.

You may find buying from R4 will be the cheapest option.

The US are on series 6 (episode 5 shown two days ago and very enjoyable it was too). Sky will start in January (i expect).

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Well I am Buffyholic.......

Each season is written so that if it all ended on the last ep it would make sense and there would be no "unfinished business".

Season 1 is actually very interesting to re-watch. You see the progression of the cahrcters as the writers start to develop them. You also see how they start to get a feel for the "look" of each character.

Season2 has some of the most witty eps ever written in the series along with some of the most "tear jerking". I can watch "Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered, Passion and Becoming 1 and 2 over and over again....in fact I do!

Season 3 they start to really rock and roll. Lots of seads sown for future seasons that only become obvious and relevant in years to come. Joss Whedon is a genius.

Season 4 is very entertaining when it's good but is widely regarded as having the most poor eps. Of course with eps like "Hush" you can put up with some dodgy ones.

Season 5...AND they're back on track again.

Season 6: God...I can't wait for the all musical ep "Once more...with feeling".

The thing about Buffy is that the more you re-watch it the more youget the jokes and understand just how they set up future "happeningd". It has a large multi year story arc even although each season is designed to stand alone. Buy it with confidence!

Gordon

4. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The musical one is two weeks away isn't it? (6.07?)

That is either going to be really great or really poor.

Hush has to be one of the best episodes and a great one to introduce non-buffy watchers (pun?!) to the series.

5. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want to buy Buffy, try www.ezydvd.com.au as the R4 discs are generally significantly cheaper than the R2 versions, despite being identical.

Only slight "wrinkle" is that R4 does not seem to replicate the rather neat packaging being used for seasons 2 onwards.

Still, I'm getting my season 3 from down under

6. Chandler

Chandler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How many series wil be made do you know?

Also where did you get your boxsets from as series 1 the cheapest I have seen in £39.99 and £67.99 for 2 & 3

7. Chandler

Chandler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen Series 1 on region 4 for approx £28
    and series 2 £50 and 3 £55 they include shipping but does anybody know what sort of customs charges I will be stung for if my packages are picked up the friendly custom people!

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
  9. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I presume you're going to be ordering from ezydvd. If so, either contact them to request, or request in the order process, that they to mark the package as a gift with no commercial value. Ezydvd are usually quite accomadating with this sort of request. Customs will probably then just assume it's a private parcel and will let it past with no charge.

BTW, the last time I checked, customs charges were equal to VAT at 17.5% on commercial packages over £18 value. I may be wrong. Anyone?

10. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That's a bloody good price... Nice find.

12. Chandler

Chandler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    especially as includes postage - may have to order S1!

13. howlingwolf

howlingwolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0