Buffy season 7 dvd problems

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by onewingedangel, Jun 22, 2004.

1. onewingedangel

onewingedangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Disc 6 of buffy season 7 doesn't work properly on my PS2 (haven't tried the others yet), it glitches, jumps ahead, or the dialogue appears out of sync etc. This happens at the same places each time, and doesn't occur with other dvd's However when I've played it on my Toshiba 330e dvd player, pc, and my brothers x box it works fine. Is there something wrong with my PS2, or does it just not like the buffy DVD?

2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +10,339
    What episode and time does it happen at? or is it the whole disc?
    I have this at home and can check it out for you.

3. onewingedangel

onewingedangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    The sound sync issue is very noticable on 'end of days' (ep 21), chapter 5 I think, **SPOILER** when Anya is talking to Andrew, and the glitching is evident on chosen (ep 22) right at the start of the commentary track when buffy and angel have the cookie dough talk in the graveyard (doesn't happen with the regular audiotrack) and on the normal soundtrack at the end of the episode during the big end battle around the time buffy gets a sword through the stomach. **SPOILER**

4. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi onewingedangel

I have edited your last post slightly to add spoiler warnings just in case some people haven't seen the final episodes yet...

There was a thread on this same subject a couple of weeks ago (if you do a search you should find it). I replied on that thread saying that I had no problems with my disc, however since then i have watched it on another DVD Player and the sound was completely out of sync on the last two episodes... I read somewhere that this is a manufacturing fault which only shows up on some DVD players. Very annoying. I am not sure what we do about it though - I wonder if 20thCFox are aware of the problem, it might be worth one of us contacting them and seeing if they are addressing it...

5. onewingedangel

onewingedangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Thats annoying if it doesn't like the ps2, while I can play them elsewhere, I would like the option of using my PS2 in my bedroom. If this is a widespread problem, and a pretty major one in that some episodes especially chosen, are rendered almost unwatchable, then I imagine a lot of people must have returned their DVD's. Maybe thats why season 7 was reduced so much before the usual 9-12 wait....

6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,093
    I can confirm the problem with the End of Days episode. It is apparant on my Cyberhome but, plays fine on my Panasonic and Sony. Maybe it only affects players with DVD Rom drives?

I have watched the first 3 DVD's of S7 and all episodes are fine. I have heard with similar sound problems with episode 12 and 13 which I will be watching tonight.

It's not worth sending the set back to Amazon (where I got mine) as it is very likely that they will just send out another faulty set.

An interesting thing I noticed. I watched the same End of Days episode on Digital BBC2 last week. The sound problem was in the same place.

Spoiler-
    It is around 30 minutes where Anya and Andrew were walking while getting medical supplies

7. onewingedangel

onewingedangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    According to fox's website the address you should write to is:

Customer Enquiries
    Twentieth Century Fox
    Twentieth Century House
    31-32 Soho Square
    London W1V 3AP

Unfortnuately, there isn't an e-mail address for this type of feedback...I'll now have to geta stamp, and an envelope, and... :laugh:

8. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Aarghh Snail Mail! :eek:

Can you let us know what they say mate :smashin:

9. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    The problem I raised awhile back was the poor centre channel sound mix/balance, vocals varying from OK to very quite, so had to keep stopping and replaying to hear the dialogue at certain points. At the time I'd only watched the first 4 episodes - I have now watched the whole of season 7 and can add the sinc. issue at the end to my problems with the sound at the start. This was on my Toshiba SD 220e.

Paul.

10. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,093
    I just finished season 7 on DVD.

There was only one noticeable bit with the audio. It is the same bit with Anya and Andrew at the Hospital in End of Days. However, it seems to be a word missing. The audio is in sync before and after the missing word. Anya definitely saids a word which you don't here.

The subtitles also doesn't show this word. This maked me think it is intential as the TV broadcast was the same. It is also the same on a featurette on the DVD. Why would someone do this? it sounds like a censoring issue.

It is more noticeable on my Cyberhome CH 400 than my Sony NS900. There was no change in volume. I prefer to watch Buffy in 2 channel rather than Surround.