Buffy Advice Please

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Jade, Jun 30, 2002.

1. Jade

Jade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

A few questions about Buffy if I may :) ;)

I already have series one and two - I bought them cheap from region one. But now I want series 3 & 4, but they are not available in region one yet, and the region two are really expensive.
    Has anybody bought the Region 4 releases? I understand that rather than being in a whole series boxset, they have released them in smaller segments. How does this compare price wise with buying the region two sets? Also am I likely to get stung by customs if I order them? Where is a good place to buy? And finally what is the packaging like - Is it as nice as the region 2 ones?
    Should I go for region 4 or just dig deep and buy region 2?

And finally does anyone know when Angel series One (Region One) is coming out?

Thanks for your advice guys! :kisses:

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,815
    Hi Jade

For reg4 try http://www.ezydvd.com.au/mech/search.zml?id=xk0iW:xkWXA&f=title&q=Buffy it seems they are out of stock of season 3 &4 (is this because it is not released there yet). Cost is about £50 plus postage.
    I think there is a way round customs? I have read on the forum, maybe if labelled a gift. Try a search if no one else comes up with anything. Customs is really due on parcels over £18.

Hope this is of some help.

By the way Jade, any connection with the stunning redhead (Angie Everhart) in the film Jade?

3. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi Jade
    I got Buffy series 3 on R4 - it comes in 2x 3 dvds sets - The packaging is not as good as the cool book you get on R2.
    Good news is the R4 release is Uncut unlike the R2 which had some cuts made to the dead mans party episode. I got my set from www.dvdcrave.com.au it cost aprox £55 including P+P - I had no problems with Customs as dvdcrave had marked the parcel as a gift and put a very low value on it:D - Delivery was also very quick took just 4 days :D
    Not sure when Angel series 1 is out on R1 - hopefully soon and
    PLEASE let it be in its proper Widescreen ratio
    - Fingers crossed :D

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,059
    Just watched Buff region2 season 3 special features Season3 overview....Amazed at how camp Doug Petrie is.... also what a geek Jane Espenson looks....but then I CAN TALK!

Joss Whedon's cpmentaries are fantastic. The difference of seeing the 16:9 version on s4 is huge! Just buy them, somehow, whatever region!

Gordon

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If labelled as a gift, the maximum amount is £36 AFAIK. As the Captain said, it depends what they put on the parcel though ;)

It's www.dvdcrave.com (I just tried it) ;) They seem cheaper than ezydvd.com.au on some titles :eek: although their displayed GBP prices are a little ambitious compared with the actual exchange rate :rolleyes:

6. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    captaineyecatch,

What is the packaging like on the R4 version? Is it a cardboard foldout like the R1 versions? Or is it just plastic?

Thanx.

7. mikey

mikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky One is repeating the series from the beginning starting this week. The Radio Times has an article entitled "Buffing up on Buffy". Please form an orderly queue......

8. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jade,
    As another Buffy fan, I looked at all the R2 and R4 sites when I wanted to buy season four and although the R4 release was slightly cheaper from the sites listed above (which I have also used before for single DVDs below the Customs threashold) I decided to order an R2 version from dvd.co.uk for £59
    Although it may be up to £9 more than the R4 versions I decided that the risk of getting hit by Customs charges and speed made it worthwhile -- still £20 off the "official" R2 price!

Plus, I got it in 2 days and I'm now watching the glorious "Hush" episode with Jos's commentary in wonderful quality widescreen.
    The improvement over the (poor) season 1, 2 and 3 picture quality in HUGE.

Enjoy it!!....

Simon

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll be waiting for the Region 1 release, hopefully Angel will get a DVD release over there too and in widescreen. Or am I asking too much?

10. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Lex
    The R4 packaging is very basic its a cardboard slipcase (nice and strong though) which holds the 3 amaray dvd cases - I prefer it
    to the R2 Book as that was bloody hard to get the dvds out and they got dirty very easy.
    Remember that the R2 series 3 is cut so dont buy it - get the R4
    if you can.

11. Serpico

Serpico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Just popped into this thread to announce my status as a Buff addict. I avoided the series like the plague for ages because I hated the teen-ness of the appearance of the show. Then drunk one night at a friend's house was forced to watch it, and to my amazement loved it. They had been singing it's praises for months previously, but I'd dug my heels in and refused to watch, just like I'd done with their previous recommendation Babylon 5, which after finally watching three or four episodes of, I decided I had to buy the entire show on VHS just so I could find out what happened next. Now if only they'd do a proper release of B5.

12. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanx captaineyecatch :)

I am looking to buy 3 & 4 myself. I think I agree with swarrans, for the sake of a tenner I will go for the R2 one. I really like the 'book' packaging too. ;)

Is it just the one episode that is cut?

Thanx,

Lex.

PS I don't know why Region One are taking so long to release them! :mad: And why are region two versions over twice the price!?! :mad: It seems nobody can ever get it right! :mad:

13. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    HI,

Lex - the reason shows like "Buffy", "Angel" et al take such a long time to get Region 1 DVD release, is due to TV syndication rights.

Essentially, what that basically means, is that US cable TV stations, (rather than the major US networks like Fox, CBS, et al), have until a certain date to purchase the show and air it. Once that date passes, then the show is then given its DVD release.

I don't know if US VHS releases are also treated like this, but that's why so many excellent US shows get an R2 or R4 release first. Hence, stuff like "24" and "CSI: Crime Scene Investigations" get released in the UK, but not the US for upwards of 6 months.

Pooch