Buffer (preamp) before integrated amp

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by REapper, Apr 22, 2017.

1. REapper

REapper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi, I have a question: why does a buffer improve SQ when connected between a phone and an old integrated amp?

Here's the situation: needed an extra stereo setup, low budget, had a Pioneer A-66 X, bought a pair of speakers. When connected to an audio interface - sounds great, connected to a phone - sounds dull, connected the phone to a DIY preamp with a single opamp to the amp - sounds great. Don't bash the phone, when connected to a pair of decent modern active speakers it sounds great. Also, I don't have money currently for and extra player/DAC so going to have to wait a bit. I'm well aware that the phone is optimized for low impedance headphones, but I always thought that the high resistance of the amp input would be even better. Also, why my active speakers don't suffer from that?

Is there anyone here with electrical knowledge here to answer these? :) Thanks!

2. Deleted member 781788

Deleted member 781788

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bet you connected your phone to the phono inputs of your amp.
    Try connecting it to tuner, tape or Aux. inputs.
    Try again, turn up Pioneer volume to about a third, if not enough volume, gently push the volume up on your phone.

3. REapper

REapper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    No, my turntable is connected to the phono stage :) I know what it does. Connected to CD, Aux, Tape - all the same result. It's not about loudness, but clarity and frequency response. Just lacks bass, highs are mushy and overall sound is not detailed, even in the mids. Also, the phone is almost all the way up - louder and it starts distorting a bit. Also, this is not a low end phone, Sony Xperia Z, drives headphones nicely.

Thanks for the reply, though.

4. muljao

muljao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    Have you tried a different input on the amp in case one of them is dodgy?

5. REapper

REapper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah, tried all of them. It's definitely normal (I suspect ohm's law at work) because connecting a consumer line level device to studio equipment yields similar results - consumer devices have different signal specs than pro stuff. It's just odd that a phone connected to a consumer amp behaves this way.

6. Deleted member 781788

Deleted member 781788

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bad cable, damaged Amp or some silly mistake you haven't discovered yet.

7. MAX1210

MAX1210

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    Have you got a case on the phone stopping the 3.5mm cable from making a proper connection?