Buffalo Linkstation Pro Duo as a media server

futureal33

Standard Member
Hi all,

Was unsure where to post this as it crosses a few different forums really, but will try here :)

At work we use a lot of Buffalo Terastations, and they have always been fantastic - very reliable and efficient.

I am now looking at getting one as a RAID external drive for my photos backup, hosting mkv files (between 10gb and 20gb each) which I want to stream from on my WDTV Live - which will be connected to the NAS by a gig switch.

The thing putting me off..is this review website: Buffalo LinkStation Pro Duo 2TB review | Expert Reviews

They are saying the drive is very slow.

Im just wondering if anyone knows if the Buffalo Linkstation Pro Duo would be quick enough to push 1080p mkv files to my WDTV Live player over a wired ethernet connection?

Thanks

futureal33

Standard Member
Read speed is around 15MB/sec for large files (which is what my main use will be)

Would that be sufficient?

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
I've got one of these myself, and it has been fine - except for one of the disks failed last month. But it is slow when transferring files. However, I've not had any problems viewing media stored on it with it hardwired into my Apple TV (XBMC). Granted my files aren't large , <6gb usually, but most are 720p with DD or DTS, and not had any issues with latency or slow read speeds. The MacBook often struggles to play a HD video file over Wifi, but I put that down to the 54g wifi link I have, as opposed to the read speed of the NAS

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom