Buffalo Linkstation Live MP3 streaming

jyonda

Standard Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a cheap wireless streaming device that is compatible with the Linkstation Live? I'm considering the Netgear MP101, Philips 5520 and Noxon 2 as possible candidates though I'm slightly worried about the size of the displays. Do you have to make playlists with an app or can I just put the player on random across the whole library? I just don't want to be spending hours scrolling through the alphabet on a 2 line LCD!

cheers:beer:

Can anyone recommend a cheap wireless streaming device that is compatible with the Linkstation Live? I'm considering the Netgear MP101, Philips 5520 and Noxon 2 as possible candidates though I'm slightly worried about the size of the displays. Do you have to make playlists with an app or can I just put the player on random across the whole library? I just don't want to be spending hours scrolling through the alphabet on a 2 line LCD!

cheers:beer:

Everything you have said apart from the first line suggests you need to be looking at products that are not quite so cheap.

Buy cheap, buy twice. Do the research to find the product that does everything you want and does it well and if it costs more than you first intended then lower your expectations/requirements or save up a bit longer and get the product that's right.

In my view the combination of a Sonos ZP90, Sonos Controller and Charging cradle would be the ideal solution for using with a Linkstation Live but at £550 it might be a little more than you intended to spend. However it does have all of the functionality you require as well as having a large colour display in the palm of your hand for browsing music. You can create playlists on the Sonos as well as just playing all of the music library on random if you wish. It has a 'Power Scroll' function which makes it quick and easy to get to any letter in the alphabet whilst browsing.

Last edited:
Thanks CrustyLoafer! Egads!!! 550 squid? I'm just wondering why for that kind of money someone wouldn't get a small lappy to stream and do umpteen other things. Streaming audio files should be a piece of p#ss so in the end it's all about the interface.

Oh I guess you wouldn't get a remote control though...

Thanks CrustyLoafer! Egads!!! 550 squid? I'm just wondering why for that kind of money someone wouldn't get a small lappy to stream and do umpteen other things. Streaming audio files should be a piece of p#ss so in the end it's all about the interface.

Oh I guess you wouldn't get a remote control though...

How would you set up a mutil-room system with a laptop - you need a device in each room? How long does a cumbersome laptop take to boot? Would you want to use a Laptops terrible DAC and sound quality compared to proper audio tech?

There are 101 reason why a proper streaming system is a better solution than a laptop, i think you have completely missed you point :)

If you want the cheapest, but still very good, streaming device - it's the Squeezebox Classic hands down.

1. If I wanted to expand to multiroom I could use something like Creative Zens Xmod (wireless).
2. Leave it on standby.
3. You don't have to use the DAC at all if you keep it digital. There are notebook soundcards available to upgrade the sound quality.
4. Laptops offer much larger screens and a keyboard, choice of software, almost limitless codec support, huge potential for storage, RAM upgradeable, infrared controller devices could be possible too depending on software used.
And be about a million times more compatible with everything else in the world.

Don't get me wrong, I can see the point of an inexpensive dedicated audio streamer that does it's job well but I'm really scratching my head why anyone would spend in excess of 300 quid on audio streaming to devices with such limited ease of use and purpose when laptops are more than capable.

If the point is to have a good looking box then I couldn't justify it.

Last edited:
You could consider the Buffalo LinkTheater (American spelling - not mine) from the same stable as the LinkStation. I bought the HD Lan version for just over £100 but I believe the wireless non-hd is cheaper.

I considered a Linktheater for video streaming and very quickly found it had an appalling reputation.

I considered a Linktheater for video streaming and very quickly found it had an appalling reputation.

The original non-HD version got bad reviews, mostly because of its' lack of HDMI.

I suggested a Buffalo LinkTheatre because you asked about devices which would be compatible with a Buffalo LinkStation Live. The title of your OP is about MP3 streaming - you made no mention that you want to stream video as well.

I have a separate desire to stream video and had considered the Linktheater first because of it's brand name but as I say most people advise to steer well clear and not just because of the lack of HDMI. More because it can't do the things it's supposed to and is as flakey as hell.

I'm not sure why you think the Linktheater would make a good mp3 streamer as it has no screen to navigate so would be especially poor at being a standalone device or am I missing something and we've finally found a use for all those discarded Linktheaters???

Anyway I've made up my mind and will stream via the laptop and forego the 2 line lcd experience. Cheap as chips too.

Just to chip in: I went through something similar; looked at Sonos etc, but in the end (since I would only be using it in one room or max 2 rooms) I couldn't justify the costs. So I went with an Asus Eee netbook coupled with a little external USB soundcard/DAC connecting to my amp. Works a treat with my Linkstation. I'm using MediaMonkey.

Only downside (*for me*) so far is lack of remote as you would get with the Sonos, so am looking into either getting a seperate remote or into sending over the audio wirelessly from the Eee to the amp via something like the sitecom WL-060; so in this case the Eee would be the streamer and remote in one.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom