Buffalo LinkStation Duo 2TB (2x 1TB) NAS Drive - RECERTIFIED

railfrog

Standard Member
Reaction score
Thinking of buying one of these.
Buffalo LinkStation Duo 2TB (2x 1TB) NAS Drive.. | Ebuyer.com

This will be my first NAS.

I currently use a USB hard drive plugged in to an LG HB405SU Home Theatre to watch movies on my LG PK350 plasma.
The films i watch are Blu-Ray quality. Normally 720p and 5.1 sound.
The USB hard drive seems to cope well with it.

Would the above NAS be better?
Does anyone own one of these units?

I can't say whether the NAS will be better but I've got the 1TB version connected to my network and it's been fantastic. Really good easy to use interface, read speeds are good and I regularly watch movies streamed over my LAN which works without problem. Extra features especially the BitTorrent client are really useful.

Hello! I am also looking at buying one of these. Has anyone out there got one in their living room? I see it has a fan and I dont really fancy having a noisy device when streaming (DLNA) to my TV/PVR...

Thanks in advance

Can anyone confirm if this unit is noisy or not?

Thanks for the answers so far.

Anyone else?

Hi, I bought this NAS and have just got it set up as RAID 1. I can confirm that it is quiet enough for a living room. Mine is sat inside my Alphason media unit and I can only hear it very slightly late at night when there is no TV or music on.

The only problem I'm having at the moment seems to be that the NAS won't share its DLNA files without booting the laptop with NASNavigator2 software running. The NAS is set in Auto power mode and will respond to pings but I cant just turn on the PVR or TV and browse to my media files without the laptop also running. If anyone knows a way to get the NAS to WOL (Wake on LAN) without the NASNavigator software waking it then 'I'm all ears'

Cheers

Yeah it's quiet - Mine has packed up after about a month though. Luckily I had a USB drive connected to it as Backup so hopefully it's just going to be a case of E buyer swapping it.

Cheers Ian. I've got my USB drive connected to the NAS after transferring files. Think I'll leave it connected!

Just so people know. To get around having a laptop running the NAS Navigator software to keep the NAS awake I downloaded an iPhone app called net awake which sends out a WoL packet to the NAS when needed.

Well mine packed up Sunday - spoke to Buffalo support monday to certify yes it needs a replacement. Still waiting for the paperwork to then give to E Buyer - Looks like it's going to another week until i get a replacement. Appalling service and 0845 numbers for minutes on ends has cost me about £3 already.

Hi Ian, When you say it packed in what happened? Just want to know if there is anything I should look out for or if they just go capoot!?

It just started taking longer and longer to pick up the drive until it started flashing Red which on the NAS Navigator indicated Emergency Mode. You can update the firmware though which is to get it out of EM but if it doesn't it's knackered.

Don't know if its the Hard Drive or something else but In 10 years of Computer ownership I have only had 1 HD failure.

DiscoStoo....How is it going with the buffalo?

I haven't committed myself yet. Looking at the readynas DUO aswell (although more expensive)

I ended up returning the NAS to ebuyer after the device could not be connected to using either Win7 pro or Win7 home over the WLAN.

A word of warning here. Ebuyer would not allow me to return this direct to them even though it was only a month since I purchased it. They insisted that I contact Buffalo to ask for a DOA form. Buffalo would not provide me with such a form as their attitude was 'no matter what, our device is not defective'. Eventually after a few complaint emails to ebuyer they accepted my RMA request but it took weeks of emailing back and forth.:eek:

Yeah took me about a month of e mailing and a couple of 0845 calls too

A word of warning here. Ebuyer would not allow me to return this direct to them even though it was only a month since I purchased it.

Under the sale of goods act they have no right to refuse a return, you should never have had to go to Buffalo, very shocking from Ebuyer as their aftersales support has always been the best for me.

That is shocking customer services from Ebuyer.

I did not commit to one of these units.

I am now going to buy, when funds allow, the HP microserver.

Long term the n40l is a better bet. Ill be adding things to it with birthday and Christmas next year

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom