Buena Vista Adopts VC1

Rasczak

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Looks like Buena Vista is quietly dropping MPEG2 and AVC in favour of VC1 :clap: :clap: :clap:

It looks like Flightplan will be the first of these new VC1 encodes which will not only hopefully see a quality improvement but may open the way for BV to go 'dual format' in due course.

Whichever this can only be regarded as good news IMHO :thumbsup:

good news indeed, BD needs the better PQ to help its image(both disc and public perception)

Interesting news, this makes sense & could be the prelude to Buena Vista going neutral in a few months time.

I expect more of this as folks realise both formats are here to stay for a while yet.

What's it to them anyways - other than grabbing a slice of the profits to be had?

It would be no big deal manufacturing and retailing on either media having already adopted encoding meaning the same movie content was usable in either format.

I can't see this a way forward to go neutral. As far as I can tell the same encodes could be used for HD DVD abd BD whether VC1, AVC or MPEG 2!

It is a positive move for BV however.

I can't see this a way forward to go neutral. As far as I can tell the same encodes could be used for HD DVD abd BD whether VC1, AVC or MPEG 2!

- Well I suppose the point there would be that neither VC-1 nor AVC are as space-hungry as MPEG2.

It means a common 'software' may simply be mounted on either media with no real effort or additional cost involved.

I also think it may mean BD50's becoming more and more redundant as more and more studios drop MPEG2
(I can't see them doing anything but - at most - using the space for the most tedious & inane 'filler' in the short-term and rapidly moving to BD25's as they simply don't need the extra capacity)

It is a positive move for BV however.

- I guess so by all accounts it is superior to MPEG2 and the movies should look much better for it.

It is easier to take a HD DVD encode (MPEG2, VC1, AVC) and convert to BD format. However the otherway may not alsways be possible becasue of file size or Mux limitations on HD DVD fomat, so I gues this means It is far more likely for Universal to go universal? ;) :devil: Seriously if both VC1 encodes are compatible with both formats (and this is not a given by any means) then it does keep the options open but probably no more than that. Of course how long will it be in the BD camp before we have VC1 encodes everyone is asking for, which are too large for HD DVD format...., now there is a USP :rolleyes:

It is easier to take a HD DVD encode (MPEG2, VC1, AVC) and convert to BD format.
Not if they stick to BD25. As you can see the Flightplan BluRay is a BD25 - which is all you really need for a VC1 encode - so if anything future HD DVDs may benefit. The extra 5GB of space on a HD DVD30 could be used for a Dolby TrueHD track :devil: Ultimately these companies know if they are likely to go dual format - if they are considering it I'm have no doubt they'll ensure the encode meets HD DVD and BluRay specs.

Not if they stick to BD25. As you can see the Flightplan BluRay is a BD25 - which is all you really need for a VC1 encode - so if anything future HD DVDs may benefit. The extra 5GB of space on a HD DVD30 could be used for a Dolby TrueHD track :devil: Ultimately these companies know if they are likely to go dual format - if they are considering it I'm have no doubt they'll ensure the encode meets HD DVD and BluRay specs.
HighDefDigest list Flight Plan as a BD50... Also if the peak bit-rate is allowed to reach BD's full bitrate where required then the VC-1 encode is useless for HD-DVD. (Even if it would fit on a BD25)

I think I might just have to get this one and take a look at file sizes on disc. As for dropping MPEG-2, to me it looks more like they are evaluating all codecs MPEG-2, AVC and VC-1 seeing as on the same day we get Pearl Harbour on BD50 and MPEG-2. I suspect they'll be trying to guage reaction to each.

HighDefDigest list Flight Plan as a BD50...
Which it originally was - now it is VC1 and a BD25 according to BV press release.

Also if the peak bit-rate is allowed to reach BD's full bitrate where required then the VC-1 encode is useless for HD-DVD. (Even if it would fit on a BD25)
Thanks Ian - as I posted above I'm sure if BV are considering dual format then they'll ensure the VC1 encode is compliant with HD DVD and BluRay specs. Not stupid these companies you know ;)

Which it originally was - now it is VC1 and a BD25 according to BV press release.
Well it would be nice to have a link to that release, everywhere seems to say its a BD50...
Thanks Ian - as I posted above I'm sure if BV are considering dual format then they'll ensure the VC1 encode is compliant with HD DVD and BluRay specs. Not stupid these companies you know ;)
Clearly, after all stupid would be doubling your disc authoring costs and not giving your original investment time to deliver.

Clearly, after all stupid would be doubling your disc authoring costs and not giving your original investment time to deliver.
Well Paramount and Warner don't seem to think so do they?

seems like more and more microsofts vc1 codec is the way to go.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom