1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Budget vs. Mid-range package

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by felty99, Nov 9, 2004.

1. felty99

felty99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    I?m looking to upgrade my hi-fi system from a budget stereo system (Tosh 220 DVD, Marantz PM57, Tannoy Speakers) to a new DVD player, AV Amp and surround sound speaker package. I plan on getting an LCD panel in a year or two so I'm looking to future proof the system as much as I can, so HDMI/DVI connections seemed essential, ready for HDTV broadcasts in 2006.

I'd settled on the Denon 2910 DVD player matched to the Denon 2805 Amp but I'm not sure how much to spend on speakers. My first question is would something like the KEF 2005.2, Mordaunt-Short Genies or AE Aegis 3B speakers be ok or would they lack the capacity to do justice to the rest of the system? Would something like the Quad L-series be a better match?

Secondly, is it better to buy the same speaker cable for the entire system or spend more on the front stereo speakers and less for the centre/surrounds? I tend to watch DVDs more than listen to CDs, ranging from action films/blockbusters to CGI animation.

2. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    The Quad L series would be a great choice, fantastic speaker package, but, it is expensive, rrp is £1930 I believe, if you can afford to spend that much, then go for it, you won't be dissappointed. The Genies are also great speakers, and give a very full sound for speakers so small. The AE's are also very good........erm, not making this easy am I? :)

I think What Hi Fi called the Quad L series speakers the most complete speaker package they have ever heard, and comments like that do not come round every day, the Quad L Series is the best package, as long as you can justify the cost. All the speaker packages you have mentioned will sit well with the Denons.