1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Budget used CD Player

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by fish99, Oct 22, 2005.

1. fish99

fish99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi, as the title suggests I'm looking for a used CD Player, probably off ebay. I'm looking for something with a headphone socket, and it is to be used with Grado SR80s with a headphone amp, and then later in a budget serperates system with amp and bookshelf speakers.

To be honest it doesn't have to be a world beater, just something that's going to put out a nice quality sound, the sort of CD player that might be £100-200 when new.

I've come across a few so far, but it's really hard to find out what sort of price they were new and therefore how good they are, or indeed to find reviews. They are-

Yamaha Natural Sound CDX-450E
    Denon DCD-625

which I presume would have been about £120-150 new?

If I can get one of these for £30-40 or so, would that be a good deal, are they decent machines? Anything else I should look out for that is likely to fall into the <£50 used price range but will get the job done?

Thanks in advance,
    Simon.

2. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    i've got a yamaha cdc-675 multiplayer - worth over 200 new...your's for 40 plus the cost of postage

it's boxed and comes with manual - excellent condition too - do a serach in the classifieds, i tried to sell it some time back...

cheers

where u based?

3. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
  4. fish99

fish99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Cheers for the offer, sounds like a good deal. Doncaster, S Yorks here.

Can't give you an answer right now though, depends on how those two auctions on ebay go. Plus I've already got a bid in place on a headphone amp, and until I know how that goes, I won't know how much I'll have spare.

Btw does it have a headphone socket and can you alter the volume on the headphone output?

5. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    sorry if I'm being dense, but if you've got a headphone amp then do you need a CDP with headphone out (the quality of these outputs is somewhat variable, and is unlikely to be better than a dedicated headphone amp). If you do need a player with headphone out, you could also look at the Cambridge a500 dvd player (often found for around the GBP50 mark) - well-built, good CD player, and with a pretty decent headphone out inc. volume control (not much difference between that output and my budget QED headphone amp...)

Jon

6. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    There is a Marantz CD63 going on the forums here which is up for around £50. This is quite old, but then my old CD50SE is still going like the clappers.

Good luck with the search

Steve

7. fish99

fish99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Lol, good point :) However, I don't have a headphone amp yet, just a bid in place for one, and with a day to go the price could shoot up beyond my budget, then if I had a CD player with headphone out, at least I could use it in the meanwhile, and decide then if I really needed a headphone amp.

Any comments on those two players btw anyone, or the one Mr Cat is selling?

Yamaha Natural Sound CDX-450E
    Denon DCD-625
    Yamaha CDC-675

8. fish99

fish99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I put in a few tentative bids for the Yamaha CDX-450E but didn't go over £20 (it went to someone else for just over £20) cause I fancied the Denon much more, which has 23 hrs to go.

Also found some others-

Arcam Alpha One
    MARANTZ CD 38

No headphone sockets on those but the Arcam one looks quality.

9. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    people seem to like the arcam - haven't heard it, though. not heard the marantz, either.

You could also look at this cambridge - http://cgi.ebay.com/Cambridge-Audio...oryZ3272QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    It shouldn't sound bad - though no h/p socket - and if it's under say GBP35 inc. p&p should be a good deal.

maybe also look at some sonys - the current 270/370 players are great for the money if you can find secondhand, and lots of people seem to like their xe series which can go cheap.

If possible, maybe try to get a player with digital output - that way you can always buy a cheap dac if you don't like the sound ;)

Jon

10. fish99

fish99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Got one :) Paid £43.50 including delivery for a Marantz CD65 SE II, which from what I can gather is a quality player (what hi-fi 5 stars) but obviously pretty old. Can't really go too wrong at that price though.

Cheers for the help guys, I'll post back with some comments on the player when I get it :)

11. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    cool - can't go far wrong at that price. happy listening :)

Jon