1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Budget used amp (possibly marantz)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by fish99, Oct 29, 2005.

1. fish99

fish99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I'm currently putting together a used hi-fi system for ... well..... as little as possible, hence I'm using ebay. So far I've bought a Marantz CD 5000 (edit) and I'm now looking for an amp to match it up with.

The first thing that occurs, although I may be wrong on this, is that it'd be a good idea to stick with Marantz for the amp too. There's loads of Marantz amps on ebay, PM-66SE, PM-57, PM4000, PM45, PM43, PM6010 OSE. From the prices I guess they'll sell mostly under £50 for the 40/4000 series ones, and probably about £60-100 for the others.

So I'm trying to find which of these are better, which would match the quality of the CD I've got, how much they might have been new etc. I'm guessing if they start with a 4 (40 or 4000 series) they're budget amps, so they would have been in the £100-200 price bracket when new, and the 60/6000 series ones more in the £200-250 bracket. Does that sound about right?

Having never owned or even heard (apart from occasionally) any proper hi-fi equipment, I'm sure I'm going to be impressed with whatever I end up with, but if someone with more knowledge than me can point me in the right direction that'd be a great help. Maybe someone has used some of these amps or knows something about them, or can recommend something else I should be looking at.

Cheers in advance,
    Simon :)

2. heavenly93

heavenly93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Marantz PM80 was a model that had a real good reputation, I for one loved the PM80MKII I had... Would buy it again if i came across it for my secondary set. More expensive maybe but also nice old models are the PM 84, PM94. These are 80ties models, but still in demand.

Of the ones you mention only the PM-66SE and the PM6010 OSE ring a bell with me of being any good... might be a good idea to try and find info on the web and ask here if you have a model in you cross eye. I know that marantz have also quite a few models that are not worth a second look/hearing.

3. heavenly93

heavenly93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BTW there is load of used amps out there that where a steal for there money back then. But you have to state your exact budget also I guess. Guess you understand the risk of buying second hand as well!?

4. fish99

fish99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Err... not beyond the obvious, that stuff might not work or be damaged during transit. Of course I'm only looking at stuff that's described as being in good working order.

Suppose I'd go up to about £80-90 for an amp.

5. broona

broona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    I have a Marantz PM6010OSE, and am very happy with it, sounds nice, and looks nice too, perfect match for my Marantz CD6000KI. Can't go into any detail on the way it sounds, I'm useless at describing that sort of thing, but it just sounds 'right'. :smashin:

PS, if you're looking for speakers to go with your new system, I'll have some Wharfedale Diamond 8.1's in maple finish up for sale very soon (click me!), LMK if you'd be interested. :D

6. fish99

fish99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    What about old amps, are they best avoided? There's a couple of Marantz PM 310s on ebay and I'm guessing they'll go pretty cheap. They're both in gold so they'll match my Marantz CD 5000 (the purchase of the Marantz CD65 Mk II SE didn't work out cause after 2 weeks of waiting the guy was still too busy to send it) which is also in gold.

From the specs (40W per channel) I'd guess it's the equivalent of the PM4400, so the budget model. It dates from the 80s and the ad says it's in working order. Looks cool in a sorta retro way.

Stuff like PM4400 seems to go for around £75, and PM66-SE for about £90-100. Just wondering if I could save myself some money.

Picture here-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....ndexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

7. harv

harv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  8. fish99

fish99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Cheers, that A400 gets impressive reviews :)

I dunno whether to spend £100 for something like that or maybe get something a little on the ancient side for £30-40. For the £100 I'd be spending on an A400 / PM66-SE, I could probaby get a PM310 plus some used Mission speakers and the cabling. I've only spend £32 (+£12 delivery) on my CD player afterall.

There's also a Marantz PM 1050 on ebay, which is also in gold, as well as those two PM 310s. By buying a gold CD player I'm sorta stuck with either getting a gold amp or having a hi-fi that looks a bit stupid :D The deed is done now though.

Of course I don't know those amps will necessarily go that cheap.

9. heavenly93

heavenly93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A PM310 is in quality no match for the PM66 SE....
    I personally have a hifi system that looks quite stupit i guess :) mixing brands and looks.... Will try to have a look into the PM1050 if time permits.

10. heavenly93

heavenly93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. Craig

Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Simon

I used to have the 66se and it was a fine amp. However, it was a wee bit bass shy, so you'd need to match it carefully with speakers (you don't mention them......)

The 66 KI, should you get it for the money, would be an excellent buy, as would either the Pioneer A400 or A300R, as well as being a near as damn it visual match, if that's what you're after

At that price, you may also consider one of the Sony 900 series amps - 920, 930, 949 IIRC. They're were within your range and would do a good job.

Not sure whether the 3020 is gonna be a smart buy these days (I'm probably gonna wish I hadn't said that) but one of the Rotel integrated's (970 BX ?) could be found for around 50 notes, and IMHO would be a match for everything mentioned aside from the KI and A400

12. fish99

fish99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Cheers everyone, very helpful posts, and hopefully I know enough to make a good decision now. Think I'll try to get something decent rather than cheap, on the basis that I won't have to replace it anytime soon.

As for speakers, don't want to start planning too much there until I have the amp and I've heard the CD player, then I can get something that matches up well. There's tons of bookself speakers on ebay though going for very reasonable amounts.