Budget upscaling DVD for Hannspree TV

M

mjbemand

I have recently bought a Hannspree XV Television (full model number JT01-32E2-000).

I expected to be unimpressed with the picture from my Sharp DVD player (scart rgb output), and I replaced it with a Philips DVP5960, connecting via HDMI. I was not massively impressed by this either - it makes little difference whether I choose 720p, 1080i or no upscaling. The picture isn't bad, but text, whether the setup menu or credits, look pretty horrible. By contrast I have a BT Vision box connected over HDMI - the freeview and on demand pictures aren't bad, but the menu system and other text is a delight to behold, absolutely crystal clear. I am considering getting a different DVD player - question is, what?

I know some think upscalers are a big con given that TVs upscale anyway, but there must be an affordable DVD player out there that does a better job at upscaling than the Hannspree TV (or the Philips DVD player).

My budget is quite tight (hence the Hannspree TV) and I'm not expecting miracles - I can't really justify spending much more than £100 (partly because I hope to upgrade to bluray when its more affordable). So please don't say save up to buy x or y - I really don't watch enough (I'd say 3-4 hours a week at most) to justify spending a lot and don't have a huge disposible income: I just got fed up with squinting at letterboxed films on my 21" 4:3 CRT

I tend to watch a couple of DVDs a week at most, anything from remastered old films and TV series to brand new stuff, mostly PAL region 2 (I've heard some deinterlacing chips struggle with this), but occasionaly NTSC from region 1, so I need a player that can be made multi-region quite easily.

Oh, and I have a 5.1 amp so just need digital audio out from the player, I don't care how it sounds playing through the tv.

M

mjbemand

I mentioned this on the Hannspree thread on the LCD TV board and someone recommended a Pioneer player.

I popped along to Richer Sounds today intent on getting a Denon 1740 or Pioneer AV400 and came away with an LG dvx298h on the advice of a salesperson. This was not significantly better than the cheaper Philips I already had, so I took it back. Another salesperson thought that the PQ of the £100 Denon and Pioneer would be comparable, and suggested I look at the Pioneer AV(or DV?)600. I must say I am very pleased with this! The mpeg artifacts (particularly around people) that were quite noticable on the cheaper players had all but gone.

I truly don't know if the PQ is different between the 400 and 600 models as I haven't tried the 400. The enhanced audio features are pretyy irrelevant to me as I use a surround sound amp already, and I don't have any DVD-Audio or SACD discs - the salesman did assure me however that it is better in the video processing department as well, and I have read elsewhere on these boards that they do have different versions of the Mediatek chip so who knows. I'm happy now anyway!

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom