1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Budget Universal Player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by FunkyMonkey, Jan 20, 2004.

1. FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    My requirement is simple, execution is proving difficult.
    I want a player that plays DVD, SACD, and JPEG, at least and has PAL progressive scan. Oh, and I want it as cheap as possible - don't care about brand.
    I can find progressive scan and DVD ell under £150. And SACD and DVD likewise, but not all 4.
    What is the current cheapest model availabel with above spec?

Are there any Chinese/Korean models available?

Thanks.

2. BAD Dave

BAD Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I am seeking the same sort of thing (DVD-V, DVD-A, SACD, jpg). Not bothered about progressive scan or brand.
    I just want something to tide me over until HDMI becomes a standard feature.
    Any suggestions appreciated!

3. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,221
    The limiter is always going to be SACD as it is an expensive format to license. Non PAL/PS universals are sub £200 (pioneer 565) but adding PS adds at least £88 as there is still some doubt over whether the Marantz DV6400 does PS. The Denon DV2200 does all you wish for sub £500 which isn't that much in the great scheme of things.

4. potshot

potshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Yamaha has just released a new dvd player that has pal and ntsc progressive scan. The model isdvd-s540 it retails for £150, Probably be able to get it cheaper by shopping around. I doubt if you will get all the features you want from a budget player but its only a matter of time before somebody makes one.