Budget TV suggestions for bright room & wide viewing

bs0jdd

Novice Member
Hi all,

New here, know very little about TVs. I have quite a weird shaped living room with a very large/wide window behind the sofas, which the TV faces, so if you want to watch TV in the day and/or at different places in the room given the layout, no seats are directly at 90deg to the TV, so hard to see the current (very old) one's picture well.

I went to a store to look at some in the flesh and the one I was most impressed with initially and roughly in my price range (~£500-£700 ideally...I know, quite low) was the LG NANO816 model, I think 50" or so. I'm looking at 50-55" max.

I found the colours very bright and vivid on first glance and thought the angles looked good with little glare. Then I looked online at reviews and it gets very bad reviews (technically speaking)!

Is it possible to get a half-decent 50-55" TV that would suit such a bright room where viewing is from angles (corner set up) for the £500-£700 range? I'm mainly using streaming services (Netflix, Prime, iPlayer, etc) and haven't bought a new TV in many years...

Any advice/thoughts helpful.

Thanks!

Dodgexander

Most good rated LCD TVs now come with a type of panel that has narrow viewing angles. You get around 20-30 degrees either side from the centre of the TV before the picture degrades.

Anti glare is something completely separate, TVs with the very best anti glare coating tends to start at higher prices.

If you have a limited budget, and you need good viewing angles in the modern TV market you're never going to find something fantastic but if you stick to a 49" or 55" LG they should have better than average viewing angles and okay anti glare.

If you favor viewing angles over anti glare, look instead at the more expensive Sony XH80/XH81 series.

Beware that now most shops are transitioning between 2020 and 2021 stock, any 2021 models are currently overpriced having just been released, so you may want to consider buying a newer model at a time when they aren't so expensive if you can't find a 2020 model at a discount right now.

Also beware that LG also sell 50" models that have narrow viewing angles. Avoid this size.

All the best buys are in my guide here: (2020 models only, since 2021 is too expensive right now).

bs0jdd

Novice Member
Thanks Dodgexander for your helpful reply! I have read you nice article, and looked at the low tier 55-60" TV recommendations. I noticed that most of those LG models are not available anymore (the UN) - is the UP the 2021 version and is that comparable and worth considering?

Many thanks!

vickster

Distinguished Member
Thanks Dodgexander for your helpful reply! I have read you nice article, and looked at the low tier 55-60" TV recommendations. I noticed that most of those LG models are not available anymore (the UN) - is the UP the 2021 version and is that comparable and worth considering?

Many thanks!
Richer Sounds have the same model but with 6 year warranty while AO usually only offer 1 year

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom