Budget TV for Series S - Ideally 1440p 120Hz - UK

cardyology

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Gang, its a while since I posted here.

I have a series S and am buying a new 50" TV in the next week or so. I'm on a budget and dont care about/cant afford HDMI 2.1 - having a bit of a nightmare choosing one tbh. UK based.

I've read about TCL TVs that can do 1440p/120Hz so I am considering one of those. My questions are:

- Are TCL actually OK and which model would I be looking for for the above 1440p/120 spec? Would the 725 series do it? Its hard to find accurate info being in the UK as the models differ from the US versions.
-I am also looking at the Samsung 50" AU9000, this would be top of my budget at 629 quid. I dont beleive this does the 1440p/120 but has great reviews - would this be a better choice than a TCL?
- What other models should I consider?

Thanks.

Any particular reason 120hz is so important to you with a Series S? I imagine the list of games running at 120fps will be extremely small across all next gen platforms, let alone the SS.

Either way 1440p is really more common on monitors than consumer TV’s, most TV’s in your budget will be 4K/60hz which is just fine for a Series S IMO.

Any particular reason 120hz is so important to you with a Series S? I imagine the list of games running at 120fps will be extremely small across all next gen platforms, let alone the SS.

Either way 1440p is really more common on monitors than consumer TV’s, most TV’s in your budget will be 4K/60hz which is just fine for a Series S IMO.
I suppose you are correct, I am jsut after the "best" I can get for such a small budget.

Nearly sold on the Samsung 50" AU9000. Any thoughts on this one? If I settle for 60Hz is there another model thats worth looking at?

I suppose you are correct, I am jsut after the "best" I can get for such a small budget.

Nearly sold on the Samsung 50" AU9000. Any thoughts on this one? If I settle for 60Hz is there another model thats worth looking at?
The LG Oled C1 48 inch has been as low as £899 from a number of retailer's including John Lewis and Richer Sounds in the last week.

I know that's over your budget but with Black Friday on the horizon, I'd been inclined to wait, save up the extra dosh and then you're future proofed for all the current consoles.

Would the TV purely be for gaming or also used for watching TV etc? If the former, a monitor might be better as you can get 2k/120hz more readily.

If it's a multi use tv, then I would echo what Lama says above and wait to see if there are any deals on the CX/C1 on black Friday. I got the CX earlier this year and it's a great all round set and brilliant for games.

This thread might also be useful: My best TVs for next gen gaming 2020-21

Using a TV for gaming, you also need to consider the input lag. If this is high, it will make for a jarring experience between performing actions on the controller and seeing them happen on-screen.

Hi there

I bought a new TV espically for my Gaming Xbox Series S/X and PC, i Bought a LG 49inch Nano86, 4k 120hz TV with 2x 4k/120Hz ports, they can be had for less than £600

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom