Budget TV for PC - Movies / Photo Editing / Gaming

grumpazoid

Novice Member
I use my main PC for the above uses but wish to replace my Samsung Syncmaster with a larger TV so that the whole family can sit and watch movies.

Maybe Similar to this thread but I am concerned about viewing angles when close up. Also need near 100% RGB for photo editing.
I guess if this is too much of an ask at my price point, I could keep my existing monitor for close up work and just use the TV for movies / gaming?

I need judder free playback particularly at 23.976 and 24fps (I currently have another dedicated media PC in another room with audio going through ONKYO AV receiver. This PC is using reclock with my samsung TV - I'd like to avoid this faff if at all possible).

I have just installed the netflix app and also plan to use some of the free UK catch up TV services. This will be a test for cable cutting in the future (and binning the TV license).
I will possibly invest in something like a Firestick in the future so I don't have to have the PC on all the time.

I use a GTX970 card in this PC. Only Game I really play is War Thunder currently at 2048x1152.

I am not overly concerned about having HDR but would be nice to have for future proofing I guess.

Last edited:

vickster

Distinguished Member
What is the budget? What screen size? Decent HDR display is only available on high tier 48” and above TVs

Remember you still need a TV licence for catch up (certainly iplayer()

grumpazoid

Novice Member
What is the budget? What screen size? Decent HDR display is only available on high tier 48” and above TVs

Remember you still need a TV licence for catch up (certainly iplayer()
Budget is £500 max. 40" is probably enough. Just foung the TCL 43P715K for approx £220 but no mention of 24 Hz in specs.
Only Iplayer needs license so I will avoid watching it when that time comes

Dodgexander

Believe it or not some TVs still have issues with 24fps material. There are some 60hz models that can do it okay without judder, there are some that can only do it via HDMI without judder and not internal apps..and there are some that can't do it all without some judder.

You're probably better off avoiding TVs that run Android since that tends to run natively at 60hz. With no way for the TV to fish out the correct frame rate you'll definitely get judder. 120hz is needed on Android to solve that problem.

If you want a TV that fits all your boxes I'd suggest try to find a Sony 43XH8505 (2020 model). It uses 120hz and its a Sony TV, so you'll up your chances of not having any motion nitpicks and it also has good viewing angles. The 2021 model that replaces it is the 43X85J which remails too expensive to recommend presently.

Also worth reading up a bit about HDR if you want the TV to have some future proofing. Potentially you're looking at upping both size and budget if you want to use the TV for modern streaming services and enjoy those services using HDR without issues. Unfortunately unless you are going up to 55" in size, this is also restricts choice drastically when it comes to viewing angles.

grumpazoid

Novice Member
Believe it or not some TVs still have issues with 24fps material. There are some 60hz models that can do it okay without judder, there are some that can only do it via HDMI without judder and not internal apps..and there are some that can't do it all without some judder.

You're probably better off avoiding TVs that run Android since that tends to run natively at 60hz. With no way for the TV to fish out the correct frame rate you'll definitely get judder. 120hz is needed on Android to solve that problem.

If you want a TV that fits all your boxes I'd suggest try to find a Sony 43XH8505 (2020 model). It uses 120hz and its a Sony TV, so you'll up your chances of not having any motion nitpicks and it also has good viewing angles. The 2021 model that replaces it is the 43X85J which remails too expensive to recommend presently.

Also worth reading up a bit about HDR if you want the TV to have some future proofing. Potentially you're looking at upping both size and budget if you want to use the TV for modern streaming services and enjoy those services using HDR without issues. Unfortunately unless you are going up to 55" in size, this is also restricts choice drastically when it comes to viewing angles.
Thanks. That's good to know about Android not being suitable. Will check out the Sony.
So what's the deal with 55" TVs and upwards? Is that because they are using different panel technology?

Today I found an old 1080I 32" JVC TV that I had forgotten about. It has HDMI so It's now connected to my PC as a second monitor.....for now I think it will prove if this setup is going to work for downloaded and streamed content. I can stick to my PC monitor for everything else while I ponder what to do. Will test with a movie or 2 when I get chance.

Dodgexander

Thanks. That's good to know about Android not being suitable. Will check out the Sony.
So what's the deal with 55" TVs and upwards? Is that because they are using different panel technology?
Its because manufacturers are not making higher end TVs at smaller sizes any more. So the small sizes have cut down features, panel hz tends to be one of those features that they cut down.

grumpazoid

Novice Member
Ah ok thanks. Makes Sense.
Any opinions on ROKU based TV? Here in the UK R50A7200GTUK seems popular. Was concerned with one review mentioning judder though while streaming.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom