Question Budget tv for PC monitor

Combination

Novice Member
Hi,

I`m currently after 4k tv that will be used as my pc monitor.
I would mostly use it for watching movies, web browsing and doing some CAD work (Solid edge, pcb design software), pretty much no gaming. I don`t want it to be any larger than 43" because I will be sitting quite close to the screen.

My max price is 350 euros. There is a few models that have caught my eye.

SAMSUNG UE40NU7192 - 312 euros. I have had Samsung tv before and it was great. 40 inch version seems to have VA panel, other than that I believe that this tv is the same as NU7100 sold in US.

Hisense H43A6100 - 280 euros. They seem to get very good reviews.

Then there is this Sharp LC-43UI8872ES (~350 euros) and TCL 43DP640 (~300 euros). Both have very nice specs, even wide color gamut. My only concern is that I can not find any reviews on them. One thing I have heard is that Sharp has awful input lag. Does anybody have any comments regarding these models?

I`m probably leaning towards A6100 or NU7192 but can`t decide which is better for my purpose, price difference is quite small. Both have VA panels, A6100 has direct LED vs NU7192 edge LED but I believe that Samsung does get a little brighter. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Dodgexander

Any of of the TCL, Samsung or Hisense will probably be fine. You don't need a wide colour gamut for SDR usage, its only useful if you plan on using HDR. HDR itself is best not used with TVs at this level anyway so its really not important at all. Nice to have, but not important.

These models should be using VA type panels which are generally the best choice for overall picture quality but DO have narrow viewing angles, if you want to be able to view the TV also at a tight angle, they will not be suited. The Sharp I'm not sure which panel type it uses but what I do know is they don't make their own TVs any more. In Europe the Sharp TV brand belongs to Slovakian company UMC and their TVs are of questionable quality.

Input lag is generally something you don't have to worry about nowadays like you once did, these TVs will be fine and more than low enough.

Direct/Edge LED lighting doesn't matter, at this level, TVs lack any kind of local dimming which means edge lit models perform the same as direct lit ones.

Peak brightness is only a problem if you have very bright viewing conditions, these TVs will be brighter than most computer monitors. Don't get worried so much about it, the only reason its mentioned nowadays is because of HDR.

In summary, watch out for viewing angles being narrow and do not buy any of these TVs with HDR usage in mind. For that you will want a larger, more expensive model.

Combination

Novice Member
Thank you for great explanation, Dodgexander! It seems that everybody is expecting a little too much out of these entry level TVs and you must be the one to remind them that. I will probably go with Samsung because they are all in similar price range.

Probably worth going to some TV outlet store to find Samsung 2017 MU6300 model which is basically the same as NU7100 but with bluetooth and better remote and looks.

Dodgexander

No problem!

Part of the problem is advertising, every TV has HDR advertised much the same as HD or HDReady 10 or so years ago. Difference is they don't like to mention there is a big difference in displaying HDR compared to anything beforehand. HDR is dependant on so many factors and if you display HDR on a TV that doesn't have a very high peak brightness or lacks local dimming you can run in to trouble with the picture looking poor. Sometimes so much so that its best to avoid using HDR completely. It can depend on the source though.

If you are considering Samsung models be careful with certain sizes. Their 40" & 50" TVs will always be using VA type panels and will have better picture quality unless you need wide viewing angles.

Its a different story though at other sizes though, 43, 49, 55, 65 & 75 inches may be using an IPS type too. They use different panels even on the same TV sometimes making it impossible to know what you buy before you get the TV home.

The only exception to this rule are the curved models, which will always be VA.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom