• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Budget TV for movies & sport in a bright room?

It Hertz

Standard Member
I've been going around in circles for a couple of weeks now having read through the forums a number of times and I'm finally asking for help! My budget is £500, £600 is the maximum if need be, screen 42"-51", my head is 9’ from the screen. 3D would be nice to have as an option although not essential, Smart TV maybe not so as I connect my laptop (PC input is needed) and Full HD or HD Ready? Realistically I won’t change TV again for 5 years.

Here’s my current situation:

1. My TV (LCD Sony 32S3000) is in a corner flanked by two windows. Relocating it is not a realistic option, but I do have insulated black-out curtains if I'm watching a darker program and it’s mega-bright that day, otherwise there's been no issue. I also use side lamps rather than ceiling lighting at night.

2 .I have Sky HD and don’t (currently at least) have Sky Movies or Sports, but I watch other HD and SD channels for movies and sports. I also connect my laptop/netbook via the PC input to watch online TV, YouTube etc.

3. I have a DVD player, but don’t use it that often, so I’m not expecting to go Blu-Ray or gaming in the near future.

4.The HD programs at 1080i on this telly don’t scale properly (they narrow the screen and can’t be adjusted and this bugs me immensely) and despite contacting Sony in the past, they tell me "tough luck, no fix for it". I won’t buy Sony again and I don’t want another compromised HD picture.

After doing a lot of reading around I’m currently leaning towards the Samsung PS51D550 @ £599 at Currys. However I’m not sure that this is the right TV for my scenario given the glare issues it can suffer (even though I have curtains?) and there still seem to be enough grumbles in the owners thread that makes you think twice too.

I’m going to keep researching anyway, but if there are any short-lists that fit the profile that I’ve outlined above, I’d really appreciate them - thanks :)

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom