Budget TV at 37" to 42" - present for the parents!

Astraeus

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi folks

My parents have headed off to Oz for three weeks and I want to surprise them when they return with a replacement for their decade-old Panasonic plasma.

Their viewing is limited to terrestrial and Sky output - Eastenders, Countryfile etc. and then a rare movie. The TV is hooked up to a Marantz amp and Gallo speakers so if a display is the way to go, please advise.

I can't justify spending more than around £300 given that their viewing doesn't justify it. Can anyone recommend a Smart TV to me in that range? Wide viewing angle not necessary, HD required but not necessarily full HD. Something not outlandishly styled.

Looking to have this set up by the time they return on November 12th

Thanks for any and all input.

Last edited:
What 'Smart' features are you looking for? This is likely to be your issue

Something like this if you'd like a brand. Otherwise, look at the supermarkets

Panasonic TXL39B6B Black - 39Inch Full HD LED TV with Built-in Freeview HD, 2x HDMI and 1 USB Ports|LED TVs|Black|Panasonic (may be able to save a few quid using quidco)

Or cheaper Sharp LC39LD145K | 39 inch LED TV 1080p HD Freeview | Richer Sounds (but for the extra, I'd choose Panasonic)

Smart features meaning an in-built EPG (if possible) and connectivity for streaming from a laptop over WiFi.

Is Full HD a requirement at that size?

Don't think a a £300 TV is going to go down very well to replace a good plasma however old it is . Bit like driving a 10 year old BMW 5 series and then being told -- here is the worst possible car you can find AND your BM has gone !!

Last edited:
I picked up a Samsung 43E450 for my grandparents to replace their CRT panny, they really like the pic quality on it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom