Budget Turntable/System Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by CeriE, Mar 8, 2006.

1. CeriE

CeriE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my system for a few years and to be honest I've been out of the loop somewhat. I originally bought my turntable to play my old LPs so I didn't really want to spend a great deal of money on it, so I bought a Pro-ject Debut II with an OM20 cartridge and a NAD PP1 pre-amp to to add to my NAD C350 and Dynaudio Audience 40's.

These days I find myself listening to vinyl more and more and I'm sure that my set up could be improved. Circumstances have changed a bit too and I don't have cash available to spend in big chunks, so I'm looking for a way to get bigger bangs for not a lot more bucks - and don't know where to start. I'd prefer to buy new but I'm open to sugestions for secondhand buys - the budget's not huge, say 300 pounds over the next year.

2. carlymart

carlymart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    go for a rega probably the best £300 turntable you can get or if you want used try and find a linn axis
    both will offer fantastic results and a good step up from the project
    and if you look for used regas just try to avoid the modified decks (quality issues)
    both will work with your cartage and phono stage and will accept better cartridges in the future

3. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Hmmm the bottom end of your spectrum is actually your phono stage, you should check out the Cambridge Audio 640 MM/MC phono stage, should be able to land one of those for circa £100, leaves you £200, which I would spend on a £100 cart like say a Denon DL103, then £100 towards your next TT & Arm, or spend £200 on a TT. A few different way to go about it IMHO.

A £40 stage will hinder whatever you do FWIW. So I would get that sorted first as you wont even be hearing what the Debut 2 is really capable of.

HTHs

4. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Another one to consider if you are willing to go second-hand is the Rotel RQ-970BX. Can be found from about £60 upwards and they work with both MM/MC cartridges. Mine sounds pretty damn good using a Pro-Ject Debut II and an Ortorfon OM-5E. Incidently, I also use a NAD amp.

5. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    A most excellent piece of kit, can be had cheap as chips and more than a match for many £100-200 stages in its day. I know a few people who use the RQ970 very happily.

6. cwilson

cwilson
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Rega P25, picked up second hand for around 350.00, it's a little more than your budget, but is streets in front of the budget projects, and markedly better than the P3 it replaced. They crop up on E-bay regularly, and on some of the forums. As is said above the cambridge phone pre amp is a decent bit of kit especially for the price. Your best bet initially would be for something you can use now, that will go up with you if you upgrade your deck at a later date, or look for a good secondhand rega P3, £150 ish, used phone stage, say 60.00, that leaves enough for a a cart like the denon DL110 at around 80.00. and for the price it is a very good vinyl front end

7. CeriE

CeriE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions - it does seem that the PP1 is the weakest link at present in my set up. Richer Sounds is listing the Cambridge Audio 640 for 60 pounds - will this be a significant improvement or should I hold out for something pricier?

8. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Managed to find a chap selling one locally a month or so ago for £65. A great bargain.