1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Budget system - any thoughts?.....

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by andy76, Jan 4, 2001.

1. andy76

andy76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Saw the following on Richer Sounds site:
    Kenwood KRFV5030 DD amp £120
    Eltax Moviemaxx speaker package £150

Any thoughts whether this is worth considering as a basic budget DD setup?
    I realise I'm not likely to get superb quality but how good is it?

Andrew

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it all depends on what you want from your system, about 2 years ago i spend about 3 grand on a dd system and it sounded fantastic but it all had to go (house move)

Having now settled in my house a hc system had to go in, but i was also on a tight budget!!
    At the end of the day you get what you pay for and sometimes going for the cheap option actually costs you more in the future so my advise would be to get some demo's, do alot of info gathering, remember everyones taste is differs and buy the best you can afford.

Mike

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy,

You get what you pay for at the end of the day.

My advice would be to save some money first,or the never never.

At the end of the day it is up to you,but having started at the bottom run of the ladder myself ten years ago i would always recommend that a good starter system with DD and DTS and a decent speaker system to enjoy it will set you back at least £1000 and this gives you a good starting point for future upgrading.If you want more advice e-mail me.

At the end of the day the decision is yours,hope i can help if you want to know more

Cheers

PH.

4. desade

desade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would say to spend as much as you can on the amp and add speakers as you can afford them. Shopping around, you can probably pick up a decent budget amp for about £250-£300.

Then, save for a good set of speakers! When I first started I spent what was then a large amount of money on a pro-logic amp and had the pleasure of rear effect courtesy of £15 tinny speakers until I saved for decent ones. Cheap equipment is a false economy as you will inevitably replace it.

5. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    I bought an amp and speakers from Richer sounds - Sherwood amp plus an Eltax set-up. Symphony 6 fronts, Symphony Centre plus bipolar rears. All highly rated in the Hi-Fi press. The result? for my house it's spot on. The lounge is only 14 x 12ft and it kicks enough butt for me to wonder if the neighbours wil complain.
    I wouldn't buy the absolute budget end but only one step up will buy you a lot more. The amp is now only £199 and the speakers are still about £438. More than the real budget system I appreciate, but worth it I reckon.

Chris

6. boltona

boltona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is anyone's choice, but for the record I recently got the Yamaha DSP-A5 for £250 at a small AV shop in Chiswick (in stock & I couldn't find a better deal on the internet).

Speakers I already had to go with an existing TEAC hi-fi (just bought a switch for the main speakers £30) Speakers are Mordaunt Short Declaration Front & Centre & a pair of bi-polar Eltax's for the rear I suppose total cost £450

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Which shop was it in Chiswick?

cheers