Budget surround system for use with PS3

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by bozwellox, Feb 11, 2009.

1. bozwellox

bozwellox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi guys,

Apologies in advance if this is a common question, but I'm new to the forum and new to this surround-sound malarkey!

I'm looking for something that will give me decent-ish 5.1 surround for gaming and watching DVDs, Blu Rays and DivX movies via my PS3. I don't have much spare case after splashing out on the PS3 and 37" LCD telly (and 2 week old baby!), so would appreciate suggestions under £150 (if that is realistic!?).

I have heard good things about this for the money - SAMSUNG HT-TZ212R/XEU Home Cinema System | Laskys.com - but it comes with a DVD player, which I don't need.

Can anyone recommend anything that will fit my needs and my budget? Will I find anything with optical input for this much cash, or am I being a bit hopeful?

Thanks in advance for any advice given. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  2. dwhite

dwhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,805
    At your budget, your probably better at looking at some kind of all in one (similar to what you linked to).

I will move this thread to the all in ones forum for you.

3. A2a

A2a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    This would probably be ok for you, but I too are in a similar situation.

As you are fortunate enough to own the mighty PS3, any sort of system is only going to render the actual dvd player obselete. That system doesn't have divx, but your PS3 does and is applicable to whatever firmware updates sony throw at it, which can only get better and better!

My advice, save for a Home system like this.

This will allow to also connect whatever devices you decide to invest in over the future :)

4. cols

cols

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +517
    You're right - it's an extremely common question! :D

I'd recommend a system that'll take LPCM over hdmi - this means you'll get hd audio from blu rays on ps3. This means ps3 decodes the audio and outputs uncompressed audio (LPCM) over hdmi.

I'd recommend avoiding dvd all in ones as the dvd player isn't needed with ps3, and they have a lack of inputs, plus you can't change or get rid of the dvd player without losing your surround system.

So basically i'd recommend av receiver & speakers systems that take LPCM over hdmi.

Have a look at htsf1300, htss1300, htsf1200, htddwg800, av63+, htx22hd (with kit to make it 5.1ch).

Hope that helps :smashin:

5. bozwellox

bozwellox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks guys - some good suggestions. Cheers.