1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Budget Subwoofer

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by john87, Apr 16, 2002.

1. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the way as soon as they are in stock are a pair of Mission 773e's from Richer Sounds, because
    1) I need to make them in line with the rest of my speaker package (the same series)
    2) They are an upgrade, and I can sell my current speakers for only slightly less than I bought them for to my brother.

I have read the package will be greatly improved with a subwoofer.

Regrettably I don't have much to spend on a subwoofer :( But I have seen the Paradigm PDR-10 which has recieved fairly good reviews (not outstanding, but good for the price) reduced from £250 to £120! :D

Would these be a good option for my budget?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Whilst most people would advise against buying a subwoofer for less than £500 (new price) there are quite few on the forum that speak highly of the Paradigm.

If your sub is going to be in a bedroom and you live in a new house with thin walls you may upset your parents as the bass does travel easily through walls and floors.

3. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi John,

I have two PDR-10's in my HC set-up and I can thoroughly recommend them. With one the bass extension was good and fairly tight but with two, things got really interesting. After fiddling with placement and getting the old sound pressure meter out the punch and the overall dynamics just got way better and the overall experience was superb. If the sub is going into a 1st floor room onto floorboards I can't stress enough how much better my subs sounded with a cleverly disguised paving/marble slab underneath them for isolation. Made a hell of a difference.

After demo'ing the lower priced REL's etc I can honestly say for £240 (less than half the price of the lowest priced REL) To my ears I have a sub set-up just as good.

Cheers

Dave

4. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    My cinema room is 10m by 4.5m by 3m so could a PDR10 fill this volume? I live in a Victorian flat with floorboards and proper walls.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    My 40 watt Q Bass used to fill a room that size. The sound levels were adequate at the far end although the windows didn't used to rattle like they would closer when driving the sub to ridiculous levels.

6. damtom1

damtom1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a pair mission centre and fronts,and i use the Paradigm.I,ve got no complaints,great sub for the money.

7. robh2002

robh2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If £150 is your maximum budget, then you won't go wrong with a PDR10 - 27Hz (at -3Db - not bad!). I owned one for a few years and was very happy with it.

Wages for paper rounds must be way higher than when I did one - it took me 2 years to save for a TV back then...!
    Cheers,

Rob.

8. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would I get better performance using 2 X Paradigm PDR-10 at £120 each or by using a single £240 subwoofer? Considering the Paradigm is the only one under £300 I have seen with a decent review, and that the Paradgim was £250 before anyway... then I guess the 2 subwoofer combination may be the better option.

Also, those paving/marble slabs... how much would they cost as the subwoofer will be on upstairs floorboarding.

9. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    *coughs*

10. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Again

You kinda answered your own question there mate. Like you said for £240 for two PDR-10's I really don't think they can be beat. The "bang for buck" ratio is through the roof :D

As for you second part about the paving/marble slabs you kinda lost me. Do you want to know how much they cost or how much they weigh because they’re going in an upstairs room? Cost wise they aren’t much at all, about £10 say? (I don’t know exactly as I already had some knocking around in the garage) Just cover them in felt and nobody would ever know :D I wouldn’t worry about the weight, unless you store all those papers you “forget” to deliver in there too :D

Cheers

Dave

ohhh Just noticed it's my 100th post!! :D