Budget subwoofer for a modest system

mako231

Novice Member
First, thank you for taking the time to read and if applicable replying. I am looking to add a moderately priced subwoofer to my AV system. Here things as they currently stand:

AVR - Denon S760H
Speakers - Jamo S 803 HCS (5.0)
Height Speakers - Jamo S 8 ATM
Current (OLD) Subwoofer - Yamaha YST SW215

I understand the general consensus best bang for your buck in the moderately priced range is a SVS PB-1000 ($450+Tax). What I want to know is outside of this particular sub, are some of these options (or your suggestions) viable given their price:

BIC America F12 - $250+tax
BIC PL-200 II - $340+tax
ELAC SUB3010 - Clearance for $300+tax
Dayton Audio SUB-1500 - $260+tax

My setup is in a basement that has ~8ft ceiling and is approximately 18x18ft. The actually sitting area is much closer - within the 10-12 foot range. The sub would be used for 95% movies.

Thanks again for any input!

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
@mako231 as you are US based and AVF is predominately UK based there will be a limited number of folk who know some of the options you shortlist.

The Sub energises the room and should be placed where it works best in the room so hard to say where it will be best placed until you can have a play.

Joe

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
First, thank you for taking the time to read and if applicable replying. I am looking to add a moderately priced subwoofer to my AV system. Here things as they currently stand:

AVR - Denon S760H
Speakers - Jamo S 803 HCS (5.0)
Height Speakers - Jamo S 8 ATM
Current (OLD) Subwoofer - Yamaha YST SW215

I understand the general consensus best bang for your buck in the moderately priced range is a SVS PB-1000 ($450+Tax). What I want to know is outside of this particular sub, are some of these options (or your suggestions) viable given their price:

BIC America F12 - $250+tax
BIC PL-200 II - $340+tax
ELAC SUB3010 - Clearance for $300+tax
Dayton Audio SUB-1500 - $260+tax

My setup is in a basement that has ~8ft ceiling and is approximately 18x18ft. The actually sitting area is much closer - within the 10-12 foot range. The sub would be used for 95% movies.

Thanks again for any input!

Dayton Sub 1500 from those without doubt, just make sure it has full warranty as these cheap subs have very cheap Chinese amps and the issues are not suprising. Otherwise there is lot of feedback for it at AVSForum. It has been one of the best "ultra low budget" sub there. However black friday is coming so check out Amazon sales for Polk HTS-12 example which is decent sub and two of those for your room should be good plan. There will be others too, SVS may have something in their Outlet (main site).

I wish you could find used SVS PB12-NSD or PB2000, one of the few brands that i would afraid to buy used too. That is not small room and 95% HT use. If you can save up for something better then do that, you won´t regret it. Going cheap usually means buying twice so it`s up to you. Just remember when you step up to SVS level you get quality product that can push your system to another level completely. I know it feels bad to pay big bucks for ugly black box if you haven´t heard quality woofer before, but if you are big movie buff then it will be worth every penny.

mako231

Novice Member
Thanks all, just felt like some of the other non-SVS options were good deals. Doesn't matter, got pb1000!

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom