Budget sub?

Toddy101

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I've recently purchased a Denon X3500T with Monitor Audio Bronze 2 speakers to use for home cinema and listening to music through Spotify. I'm now after a cheap sub to complement the above. Will be going in a room that's 8.8m x 3.1m but seeing as I'm moving house (and spending loads) it needs to be as cheap as possible (under £200 if possible). I'm not too fussy just looking for something that would give a bit of a kick when listening to my music and watching films. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I would go for BK Gemini for £239 new, or check if they have B grade on eBay store. Otherwise it will be luck of draw to find a used XLS200.

As above, BK are the best value for money option. You could keep an eye on the classifieds here for s second hand one if you want to make them more so and you aren't in a hurry.

Thanks for the replies, not in any rush as not moving for another 6 weeks. Will keep an eye out for a BK.

Looked at the BK Gemini, just what I'm after. Will keep an eye out and purchase one closer to moving day. Thanks again for the help.

That's a pretty big room 8.8m x 3.1m, I had a Gemini II in my room that's a fair bit smaller than yours at 4.2m x 4.1m, it sounded ok and was a small upgrade on the Q Acoustics sub it replaced, but didn't give the kick you mentioned.

I'm pretty new to the whole home theatre thing, so see what the more knowledgable guys on here think about the room size:smashin:

That's a pretty big room 8.8m x 3.1m, I had a Gemini II in my room that's a fair bit smaller than yours at 4.2m x 4.1m, it sounded ok and was a small upgrade on the Q Acoustics sub it replaced, but didn't give the kick you mentioned.

I'm pretty new to the whole home theatre thing, so see what the more knowledgable guys on here think about the room size:smashin:

I think the Gemini suggestion was very much driven by the desire to get something as cheap as possible. Do I think there would be better BK subs for that room (or any room actually)? Of course.

I think the Gemini suggestion was very much driven by the desire to get something as cheap as possible. Do I think there would be better BK subs for that room (or any room actually)? Of course.
Yep, fair point.
Just want @Toddy101 to be happy with the sound, even though it's a quick fix. I was expecting too much from the Gem II in my room and was disappointed, but that was my fault for buying the wrong sub and no fault of the Gemini!

This is driven by budget, the room is quite large but I won't be too far away from the sub if that helps? Not looking for something earth shattering just something to add a bit of oomph at the lower end.

I won't be too far away from the sub if that helps?

Proximity actually doesn't make much difference at the frequencies sent to a subwoofer. The reason is that what you hear at such bass frequencies is dominated by sound waves bouncing back and forth between the walls/floor/ceiling rather than just the direct path from the sub to your ears.

You could buy a second hand BK Monolith for £200 - £250 (less if you get lucky) which is physically too big for most but would objectively be better (it will go louder and deeper, and has good distortion and transient response). There are lots of other models in between a Monolith and a Gemini.

Have you owned a sub before actually?

My gut feeling is that if you haven't had a sub before and aren't expecting too much that you may well be happy with a Gemini II, and it obviously fits the cost requirement. I haven't heard one though and so @WozzaB 's experience above is certainly not to be ignored.

Thanks, something to think about. I've currently got a Samsung sub and soundbar setup for my main TV (in a large room) which does add quite a bit to the listening experience. Can't go too loud though as I have neighbour's. I'm moving in about 6 weeks to a detached house with a basement room which is crying out to be used as a cinema room (hence the purchase of new speakers and the Denon). Like I've said before I'm not looking for something top end, just want to add to the sounds from the movies me and my family will be watching (and my music). Budget is important as the move is costing me quite a bit and then have family holidays, kids stuff etc to pay for (don't want to be selfish and spend a fortune as this room is primarily for me). This AV stuff is all quite new to me so apologies if I come across as not actually knowing what I'm talking about.....I don't:D

I'd certainly consider a BK XXLS 400 for a room of that size - especially if listening to music is a factor.
In fact sod it - get two.
You can thank me when they're set up and purring ;)

There's a mk1 Gemini in the classifieds that might do as a cheap temporary sub, it's an older listing but it might still be for sale, looks like collection only, not sure if your close or not though.

Worth a quick look though, it's here

I'd certainly consider a BK XXLS 400 for a room of that size - especially if listening to music is a factor.
In fact sod it - get two.
You can thank me when they're set up and purring ;)
Only about 4 times the budget there :).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom