Budget stereo speaker setup?

nickholl

Standard Member
Hi

I really want a stereo speaker setup that I can push music from my iPhone or laptop to.

I just bought a Sonos one, and although it’s not too bad for my use, I don’t want to have to spend another £170 just to get stereo sound. (And I find Alexa a pain)

I was wondering if anyone knew of a cheaper setup (sub £250) that I could push music to? Even some way of hooking up a couple of wired speakers to a streamer?
(Ideally using WiFi rather than Bluetooth)

Thanks for any help
Nick

Last edited:

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Pair of active speakers and a chromecast audio would cover your needs.

Hixs

Distinguished Member

nickholl

Standard Member
To he honest, I don’t know much about Hifi and speakers - but they do allow you to stream music via Bluetooth which is what caught my eye. I’m not even sure what you mean by active speakers?

Thanks for your help
Nick

nickholl

Standard Member
great thanks! (hadn't thought of eBay) Just out of interest, how do you connect 2 speakers together? (as the Chromecast only has the out output)

thanks again

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Ps, if you want some seriously BIG sound for very cheap indeed, than simply add the ChromeCast and the cable above to a pair of these;

https://www.thomann.de/gb/tannoy_reveal_802_b_stock.htm

These were a £700 pair of Tannoy actives, before being discontinued.

MASSIVE EDIT!!!! I’M A TIT!

The 802s were, in fact, £430 per pair. Not £700. My immense apologies.

(Still) A mega bargain if your room isn’t too small.

Last edited:

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
A pair, with the CCA still only comes to £255. Just a fraction over budget?

Certainly worth it if you can squeeze out the extra. But only if your room isn’t tiny, as I mentioned. :thumbsup:

nickholl

Standard Member
:) well its the living room, not huge, but not a box room. Perhaps ill opt for the first pair as don't want to blow the house down :)

thanks for your help!

muljao

daniel peterson

Guys, when you are getting a new set of speakers, what features do you mostly recommend looking at. Even when on a tight budget there is plenty of options to choose from.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Depends on the amp to a degree. If it's low power then you'll want to look for 8ohm with a decent sensitivity rating (88db+).

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022