1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Budget Starter System?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by james4001, Dec 14, 2003.

1. james4001

james4001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am new to home cinema and buying on a budget. i am considering the Sony STRDB790 reciever for £226 as it is 6.1 compatable and i have found a speaker package for £230 consisting of MX3-M(Front Speakers), MX1-M(Rear Speakers) and MXC-M (Centre Speaker). Is this a good system and do you think i need a subwoofer. Any comments would be grateful, thanks James

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    This package seems to be excellent value for money. You don't need a subwoofer with it but that doesn't mean that the overall sound wouldn't benefit from having a decent sub as it would.

3. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I used to have Tannoys for my 5.1 system & they were excellent value for money. My only concern is that the Sony may not be up to driving the MX3s (my old Sony amp seemed to have trouble with MX2s) - I haven't seen the amp so I may be causing a completely false alarm, might be worth asking a few Questions though.

Of course if you are buying mail order, it's not an issue really as you can return anything within 7 days under the distance selling regulations.

4. james4001

james4001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys i have looked at subwoofres and i am considering a yamaha YSTSW215, and i think that the sony STRDB790 reciever is rated at 6x100W so should that be enough for the tannoys?

5. james4001

james4001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im sorry if i am nagging people but i realy need advice on buying a home cinema system as im new into this sort of thing
    James