1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BUdget speakers Help

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by rdevarajan, Jul 15, 2005.

1. rdevarajan

rdevarajan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi
    I do not have any knowledge about speakers or recievers. So please help

I have a all in one videologic 5.1 speaker system. I am planing to buy a budget av receiver ( mostly yamaha RXV 350 ) . Having a closer look I think i will not be able to use my present set of speakers as videologic ones are all fused and have a single pin . the reciever expects 2 pins for each spekers. Is there any way I can reuse the speakers?

Else please suggest me a low cost set of speakers which will do the job. It needs to be magnetically shielded as it will be near the tele and i have a small room .

Thanks
    raj :)

2. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sounds like your speakers have stereo jacks to them, probably designed to be used with a computer originally. This would make things difficult as the power rating from your Yam amp is likely to be much higher than the rating on the speakers.

To do the Yamaha justice, why not consider the Cantons on powerbuy, they seem to be well received all round. If your budget won't stretch that far yet, try www.richersounds.co.uk for some cheaper sets.

It seems like you want to get into av because you're investing in a receiver. I would suggest to always remember the motto "Buy cheap, buy twice". In some cases, your patience will be rewarded if you wait until you can afford a better package. Do a little more research, the Tannoy FX set appear to be well regarded and are being superceded soon so deals may be about.

3. rdevarajan

rdevarajan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Thanks Slimchandi.. the reply was very helpful. Now indeed i understand that my 5.1 system is actually for a computer.

Now I would like to buy a entry level av receiver and connect my dvd player, tv, video through it.

Can you please suggest any entry level receiver and speaker.

I would like to get a feel of things with this entry level system and then further go on to buying some known good brands.

Any help would be much appreciated.

4. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm not terribly good at advice, only been into HT for about 6 months now really. I would say you can still get very good brands at budget prices, and use them as a starting point to develop. I purchased a low end Pioneer amp primarily for Scart switching, and added some extra Mission speakers to complement my stereo floorstanders I already had. To my ears it sounds great, having just spent a week at my parents house with tv speakers!

Although you can get some good bargains, you probably want to be setting aside about 200-250 quid for some speakers. Your system will suffer the most if your speakers are the weakest link, and you wouldn't want good components all through then use a poor speaker set.

I'm sure there are plenty of well reviewed speaker sets in that range, the Tannoy FX5.1 as I mentioned, the Canton CD1. However you might also want to consider building up the system, buying some decent floorstanders to start with and supplement with centre and surrounds as budget allows. At the moment I am just using floorstanders and surrounds and find it very acceptable for film watching, without a centre or subwoofer. I would recomment this path, as you end up with 5/6 quality speakers (if you have the patience) rather than 5/6 speakers instantly which you will want to upgrade sooner or later and all have to go!

5. rdevarajan

rdevarajan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Thanks again for your reply.

Over the weekend. I brought a YAHAMA RXV450 for £130 from superfi. They did not have any speakers for less than £200 so tried Richer sounds. Saw a Sony set for £110 without woofer. But fianlly went for Yamaha nsp100 speaker set for £80.

I am happy with the system as my room is very small and for the low volume i keep it was just a whale of difference from my present system.

I have started looking at separate speakers and hopefully in a years time will upgrade as my wife is rather pleased with the buy.

Thanks for all your help.