Budget Speakers for HD Audio

MediaMawk

Novice Member
Can someone please reccomend some speakers for my living room home cinema please, just soooooo many options :eek:

I currently have:

Onkyo 507 Amp (HD DTS, HD DIGITAL etc)
Panasonic BD35 Blu-Ray player
Q-Acoustic Sub Woofer (1000S)
Sharp 1080p Aquos 40" LCD TV
HD PJ (Optoma) onto 90" Screen
Xbox 360 incl HD Drive
Sky HD

Room has very high ceilings and is approx 18ft by 12ft

Would it be a good idea to get Q-Acoustic 1010i's to match the sub or can you mix and match speakers?

Budget is around £250 for 4 speakers and a center speaker.

Thanks for any advice chaps....

Last edited:

xmb

Big screen, big room..... you need big speakers!

I would live with your current speakers (I assume you have some?) until you have the funds to look at something like the Monitor Audio Silver RS6 for you main speakers.

Remember the centre is the most important for a surround system so maybe spend your initial funds on a RS LCR (about £280) and build up from there? If you don't think you have the space for the RS6s then look at the Radius range as the R270HD are very slim and elegant but still sound good. If you don't mind the old model (R270) a pair can be had new for £220!

Get along to a dealer and have a listen to a range before you part with any money but having an ultimate goal in mind will help.

Also remember speakers take a bit of running in (especially Monitor Audio) so even the demo speakers may not be as good as they could be in time! (This just makes life that bit more difficult and adds to the listen room acoustics variables problem!)

Good luck with your search!

PSM1

Distinguished Member
You do not need to buy Q- Accoustic speakers to match the sub as it is not a problem to have a different make of sub compared to the speakers. As stated above bigger speakers will sound better in your larger room. There will be a lot of choice out there so best to set a budget and then go look what you can get for it. If on a tight budget then could look at KEFs, MAs, Tannoy etc. If you have more then Focal and PMC are good imho although there will be lots of other makes too.
Get yourself done to a good dealer and have a bit of a listen to a few to see what you prefer (also a lot of fun too).

MediaMawk

Novice Member
You do not need to buy Q- Accoustic speakers to match the sub as it is not a problem to have a different make of sub compared to the speakers. As stated above bigger speakers will sound better in your larger room. There will be a lot of choice out there so best to set a budget and then go look what you can get for it. If on a tight budget then could look at KEFs, MAs, Tannoy etc. If you have more then Focal and PMC are good imho although there will be lots of other makes too.
Get yourself done to a good dealer and have a bit of a listen to a few to see what you prefer (also a lot of fun too).

Thanks for that.

Unfortunately the girlfriend has now told me to not get floorstanding front speakers due to the size of them :rolleyes:

Are there any wall mount speakers that would do a sufficient job for front speakers? how about Q-Acoustic 1020's or KEF C3's?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom